Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

http://goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum4/97093-1.html

Today - I got on her, and rode her home from my garage. (10 mile trip.) 366 days after the accident.

So it's been one year and one day, and she feels/sounds great.

For those to whom I've given advice: Don't rebuild the bike, let it get totalled, and buy a new one - that advice is still solid, and I should have parted this one out.

My tear down went as deep as this:

But in the past year I bought/sold a really nice low-mileage 1200 LTD that I used as my commuter since August 2010. That was a fun bike to own and use on a daily basis.

I purchased all the plastics from a 1987 Interstate and changed her color. It was impossible to find a good upper fairing that matched colour, so the colour change was my easiest option.

The topbox is still in the garage, and I need to get it to a repair person. It has a hole in the bottom and I want to get it fixed before I install it in place.

Here she is - welcome home, baby.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

The problem with an older bike, just like an older car, is that they are not made anymore. You can't just go out and buy a new one Every one that goes to the scrapyard is one less on the road. If it really is unrepairable, then it is good to part it out, and help keep others on the road. I have been a vintage vehicle enthusiast all my like, and am dedicated to keeping to old stuff on the road.

In looking at that helmet, and those scratches on the face shield, that is why I ALWAYS wear a full face helmet. What if your 3/4 or shorty helmet does prevent brain damage. Do you want to live the rest of your life without a face? My boss lost about half his right ear in a motorcycle accident, on a Goldwing. I doubt the accident was avoidable, an unlicensed teenaged driver ran right in front of him, and there was a truck to his immediate right, so he could not see this moron until it was too late. But a helmet would have prevented the disfiguration.

I have been down once in my life, on my beautiful '81 Yamaha XS11 Special. That was 30 years ago, I was on a busy two lane each direction road, in the right lane, keeping up with traffic, when out of nowhere, this idiot in a Suburban decides to pass me on the shoulder. He cut it 2 close, his front bumper hit my right leg from behind, just below the knee, and I went down hard. I have no idea how I didn't get run over by traffic behind me, but I had serious injuries, several broken bones, and tons of torn muscles, tendons, and ligaments. To this day I still have a slight limp from it, and as I get older, some of those injuries are starting to cause me problems again. Fortunately there were witnesses, and I was smart enough to call a lawyer from the emergency room. That accident pretty much paid for my house, but no way was it worth it.

Glad you were not badly injured, and that you got the bike going again.

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
imported post

Looks great without the top box... Now you're giving me ideas...

·
Premium Member
1,584 Posts
imported post

I run my 82 1100i most of the time without the trunk. I think it looks and feels better.

·
Registered
819 Posts
imported post

You did an excellent job, Congratulations on all your hard work.

She's looking good. :claps:

NOW GET OUT AND RIDE :action:

Peter

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.