Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

And people say I'm crazy.I just put my gear on and ride.Ive had my wing for almost a year now, Don't know what I ever did without it

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
imported post

I am the same as you. I ride all year. I had a person ask me, "How cold is too cold?" I said........ "I don't know, I haven't found it yet.":?

·
Administrator
26,169 Posts
imported post

39 is almost warm, I don't consider it cold until below freezing.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

i aint catchin a chill and then gettin a cold, broncitis or anything silly for a motorcycle ride my health is a bit more important than saving 1.00 on fuel cost

the car with a nice heater on a cold day sure feels better than gearing up for a hour

but thats just my opioion you silly guys freeze to death he he he......

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

Yuppers 28 coming home from work last night. I guess I dont get to ride today, there is about 1/4" of snow on the ground. Hopefully it melts off today, gonna be high 30s and sunny the rest of the week

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

Here in Tennessee we real riders, ride all year! Proper gear and preparation allows for a warm ride. We are fortunate that we can ride most every week or so thru the winter. I really do feel bad for our brothers that have to put their bikes up for several months each year.

Dubs

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
imported post

19 degrees coming to work yerterday and 27 going home and snow today:watching:

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

4 degrees F last night at 10pm on the way home. The choke valve on my Brosol carb froze in the open position. Normally I blip the throttle to set it. Not last night. The bike was covered in frost as usual as of late.

After a few attempts of trying to start it with no luck I removed the air filterand found the choke wide open. It is a automatic/electric choke. I opened the throttle a bit and flicked the butterfly closed. Fired right up. It was so cold that the chokes electric portionwouldn't heat-up enough to fully open the butterfly by the time I got home, about two miles. I gave it a 15 minute warm-up prior to leaving. I've blocked my radiator off fully.

This kind of cold does makes a man work for a ride.:D

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

39 ain't that cold.
I guess that's a matter of perspective :). I'm getting ready to head out in 35, and I'm thinkin' that's pretty **** cold. If I were still on my shadow instead of the wing I'd probably be driving today.

·
Bob Cassel
386 Posts
imported post

Cold is much easier to take than the wind we've had for the past week. It's 31F this morning for my ride to work, 15 miles acrsos flat farmland. But that beats the 30 to 45 mph crosswinds I've fought since last Wednesday!

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
imported post

Last week I got my last ride in before having surgery. Absolutely beautiful day, but you guessed it, 36deg (hey don't laugh that's cooold for me:smiler:). Let her warm for a couple of minutes. I'm sure the motorcycle was asking if I was sure I wanted to do this. The ride was....how should I say brisk. Had breakfast with some friends. Rode on home, thank God it warmed up to 40! 45mi. round trip. Next time I'll take the Dresser. No fairing bike wasn't my best idea. Check that one off the list. I used to ride year-round in Pennsylvania, but I was a whole lot younger then.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

I took the Speed Triple to the office last week. On a really cold (for SoCal) day. It was upper 30s when I left for the office, and worked there until after sunset.

Yeah, not my brightest move.

I was feeling bad as I'd not been on the S3 that much since the last trackday.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
imported post

We rode in the Grants Pass Christmas Parade Saturday evening and it was cool, about 31 degrees. After the parade we had to ride back to Medford, about a 30 mile trip, the temp had dropped to 28 degrees. Yes, it was a chilly ride the temp gage on the bike didn't get much over the "C" mark. We were very glad to get home and thaw out.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
imported post

Couldn't ride this morning. :sadguy:It wasn't that cold at 33 degrees but there was snow and ice on the ground and car. So needless to say the bike stayed in the garage this morning. Notwillingto see how the Wing handles on ice.:cheeky1:

Love my Gerbing heated clothing. It has really extended the riding season to year round as long as snow and ice stays away.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

Gerbings! I got smart a few years ago and invested in Gerbings Jacket liner, gloves and socks. Best investment for winter riding I could make!

Dubs

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

My biggest fear riding in the cold (below freezing) is the frost patches on the roads, or the occasional spot of frozen water from puddles that got splashed or beds of pickup trucks after they backed out of the driveway, which I have encountered a couple of times now.

Driving habits sure do change a lot when it's cold, as well as reflex time.

·
Answer Seeker & Kibitzer
632 Posts
imported post

I put my bike into winter storage in the garage this past weekend.

The mornings have been in the low 20's and the high temps are in the low 30's every day now.

While I COULD ride with my Gerbings, and Wrap Chaps I choose to not ride when it is that cold. I have ridden right up to this weekend..but my 13 miles commute is hardly worth riding in the dark, dodging rutting deer, and being cold all at the same time...

March is coming soon enough..:merrysanta:

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,204 Posts
imported post

Having spent the first 42 years of my life on a 53 degreelatitude and not buying my first car until Iwas 28, my regularanswer was "you gotta take the rough with the smooth" when asked how cold is too cold on a motorbike?

I now find myself on a 30 degree latitude and the ability to comfortably own both forms of transport, I nowhave limits as to whether I through a leg over the bike or not and suffer any more thermal shock,lower limit is 50F, less than that is just not comfortable or fun. I also have an upper limit.

15 years ago I would have argued with you until I was blue in the face, that it couldever get too hot to ride a motorcycle, now I'm here to tell you it can and it does, regularly, soif the mercury is heading north of 90F in the shade, I'm not getting on the bike either, when your body can't reject it's heat into the ambient temperature no matter how little clothing you wear, it turns what ought to be fun into a living hell. Thankfully due to where I live this still offers me 7 or 8 months of riding weather a year, God bless Texas!!

Nowsome of you can point fingers this way and shout WIMP but y'now what, I don't care, I paid my dues!!

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
imported post

After reading the posts.....I am lucky I live where I CAN ride all year. I would hate to have to put Pearl up for the winter. I couldn't imagine not riding for 3-5 months at a time. If I don't ride for a week, I am going crazy!!

Riding for me is a break from the daily grind. A short theraputicsession to lessen the effects of a hectic world. It is something I look forward to at the end of the workday.

Sure, it takes me a little longer to get out of the parking lot after work....

Uncover the bike, wave at the cages leaving, fold up the cover, wave at the cages leaving, crank her, wave at the cages leaving, put on my helmet/gloves, wave at the cages leaving, put her in gear, take off and SMILE:cheesygrin:

(Them poor cagers....hurrying to their cages, with the artificially warmed air blowing in their face, enclosed in a box shut out from the world around them, not knowing what a rush and relaxing feeling it is to have the brisk air enter your body with every breath, waking you up to your surroundings and clearing your mind of all the stresses built up over the demands of the workday.)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.