Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Happy New Year All!

I obtained a set of used trunk and saddlebag trim. I was able to remove the old adhesive strips. Chrome cleaned up very well. The trim slats are quite narrow and no tape could be found that narrow. Every inch of the chrome had adhesive. To attempt to cut tape to fit this need seems to be too much of a task.

I'm looking for alternatives. Does anyone know of any spray adhesives that might work?
A search here also shows that many use clear silicone for emblems. I'm leaning toward this. Cleanup would not be tough.

All suggestions appreciated.

Still proud to be from...

psu

Please let justice prevail!

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

any chance you can post a pics of exactly what you are trying to mount up?

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Yes.

This type of trim.

Attachments

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

I highly doubt a 'spray adhesive' will hold for very long, if at all.

Here's the way I would tackle it.

Get the 3M high bond adhesive tape (holds very well!) and stick it on the back of the chrome trim pieces, after you have cleaned them with some rubbing alcohol. Then I would get a small/thin , sharp exacto knife and run that along the edges of the trim from the other side, when you have it laying on a cutting board, taking your time not to nick the trim.

Then clean the area where they are to be applied with alcohol as well, peel the backing from the tapeand then apply.

Ya ... a lot of finicky work, butit'll stick.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

+ what Dusty say's
Wilf

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

Don't use silicone, it's very hard to remove. "No more nails" tape is as good as 3M and probably easier to find.

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
imported post

Also warm the trim up with a heat gun gently so it is warm to touch.

Stick tape to the trim first, let it cure for 24 hours.

Then stick trim to saddle bags, again heating it all up so its warm to touch.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Biggest problem I've had with that trim is that if it isn't perfectly relaxed to fit the lens exactly, no tape or adhesive will hold it down.
Go with the 3M VHB adhesive. You will need to get it on ebay or at a professional auto body supply house.
Bad part is you are looking at $60 - $100 a roll and you are still going to have to cut strips of it. I use scissors and cut very slowly.

You really don't need the adhesive if you accurately re-shape the metal to fit the lens. The tape just holds it there until you get the lens drilled and screws applied.

·
Bob Cassel
386 Posts
imported post

3M spray trim adhesive will stick anything to anything.

3M liquid trim adhesive will work too, we have always called it "Monkey Snot" because it sticks to everything and you can't ever seem to be rid of it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.