Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Front Royal is where it's at. Right on the corner of I-81 and I-66. Well a little East of I-81 any ways. Campgrounds are great around here and there are several to choose from. Also there are several Hotel options for those that don't like to rough it. it's just a short trip from Skyline Drive and a few other roads. Quite a bit of touristy things around too, such as DC, a few caverns, the natural bridge, and several wineries. More details to follow. :waving:

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
:claps::claps::claps::claps::claps:

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
I will try to make this one. I think that I already had a race planned on the last one. Looking forward to meeting some of you.:)

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
I just noticed that this is the same time as the Ocean City MD BikeFest. I am already set up for this ride with my friends. Looks like I will be missing it again. Sorry.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just noticed that this is the same time as the Ocean City MD BikeFest. I am already set up for this ride with my friends. Looks like I will be missing it again. Sorry.
Ocean City isn't that far away from Front Royal. You could bring your friends by if they want to ride one day.

·
Premium Member
1,238 Posts
Baring no health issues, me and the mrs. will do a ride-by, again!

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Baring no health issues, me and the mrs. will do a ride-by, again!
I'd be glad to see you guys again. Hope all is well.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Stand by for location info for those that haven't been there.

I will be posting directions and maybe a map to the camp ground soon. I have to finish my school work first. If anyone is interested in camping but doesn't have a tent and such, just ask, I have a few of them. :ssshh:

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
Looking at changing jobs, and getting one closer to home. Will keep my fingers crossed for the time off to come. Really want to see you guys again!!:waving:

·
Premium Member
5,319 Posts
Bump!!! Trying to get this worked into my ride calendar this year! Anyone else?

·
Premium Member
1,238 Posts
for me and the mrs. it's only a 30 min. hump. we can do this ride on our lunch break.................LOL.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Times too far away for me to make plans yet. I'll make the plans 2 days before I ride up there LOL

Hope to make it, but the way last year went from middle to end and this year so far I just ain't gonna plan ahead much anymore!

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
I've marked this on my calendar...Hoping to make it!

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
More info

Click here for the map to the EF campground.
The rates are $14 a night, but they usually let us set up more than one tent per pad. The first year we had about 3 tents on each spot. I will have 10 gallons of water so we won't have to go for a hike each time we want to get water. I will also have my RAV4 and a good set of tools there if we need it for emergencies and such. The nearest towns are Strasburg, Front Royal, and Middletown. A little further down the road (about half an hour or so and quite a beautiful drive) is Luray. Hotels include Holiday Inn (111 Hospitality Dr, Front Royal), Hampton Inn (9800 Winchester Rd, Front Royal), Quality Inn (10 S Commerce Ave, Front Royal), Best Western (410 W Main St, Luray), and Fairfield Inn $ Suites (33760 Old Valley Pike, Strasburg). There is a plethora of other camping sites as well if you don't want to be in the mix, including a KOA (12480 Mountain Valley Rd, Broadway, VA) Shenandoah National Park on Skyline drive, Battle of Cedar Creak campground (8950 Valley Pike, Middletown) Gooney Creek Campgrounds (7122 Stonewall Jackson Hwy, Front Royal). We will be staying at Elizabeth Furnace (EF) campground which has been verified to have hot showers and decent clean restrooms and some spots even have electric hook up. They have a pumping station for those of you that like to bring a smaller version of your home with you. :raspberry:I don't think I will be able to get any hotel discounts for you guys unless we have a lot of people staying in hotels. I can search for coupons though if that would help. Just let me know.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh, I forgot to mention, Cell reception at EF campground is little to none so the first day I will try to hang out in town if you guys want to call. I'll set up a google voice number that you can reach me at soon.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Times too far away for me to make plans yet. I'll make the plans 2 days before I ride up there LOL

Hope to make it, but the way last year went from middle to end and this year so far I just ain't gonna plan ahead much anymore!
That's not too surprising coming from you. :raspberry: We hope to see you there though. Hope all is going well for you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Can you post more of what the activities will be? I am interested but would either day trip it or need to get the 14th off from work. I don't live far from you, just across the line in Orange. thanks

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Riding, eating and sleeping, generally in that order.........

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Can you post more of what the activities will be? I am interested but would either day trip it or need to get the 14th off from work. I don't live far from you, just across the line in Orange. thanks
You really aren't that far from me. Maybe a 15 min drive from Lake Anna state park. (I live about 3 miles from there). As far as what's going on, Last year I tried to have it more organized, but because of the time and such not many people showed up. We will probably have a ride down skyline drive on Saturday or Sunday along with a marshmallow roast/camp fire that night. Other than that right now it's just a sit around and chat for a while. 522 is a beautiful ride up there. Let me know if you want to go for coffee sometime. I can meet you in orange or Louisa or something.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.