Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

ok- here are my symptoms to make me pull carbs again. First and foremost you have to rev above 2000 or so to take off in first. I have that bad low speed , chuga, chuga not only in first but some in other gears too. # 2 reason- header pipe readings #1,107 F #2, 285 F, # 3, 280 F and # 4, over 500 F.

- # 3 reason- # 1 and # 3 plugs have shiny electrodes and look gas fouled. # 2 is perfect and # 4 is black.

Given all these symptoms what am i looking for in each carb? I did recently replace the float valve on # 1 the 2nd time i had them out. Ideas?

Thanks !

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

GWNorman wrote:
Did you adjust the mixture and balance the carbs yet?
+1...

[GWN.. I don't think you were implying the order, butas info to #9, it should occurin opposite order .."balance" then "idle drop"]

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

when you say mixture are you mean the idle mix screws outside of the float bowl?

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

BTW- i did discover a major vacum leak- when pulling the carbs i noticed the idle mix screw for # 3 playing under the carb rack! I am still going to try and clean the idle jets as good as i can and reassemble. How much would this screw missing mess things up?

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Idle jets are fuel jets (not air) so a missing jet would at times suck air where there should be fuel and at other times leak/drip fuel... if it was plugged, it would notdo anything..

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

ok- so the idle mix screw that had fallen out probably had no effect on performance? just clarifying

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
imported post

The cooler cylinder could be a plugged idle circuit, or it could be just out of sync. The black plug could be caused by a leaky float valve. I had that, and though you could ride the bike, it would miss on that cylinder when the plug got too fouled. I ended up putting my float valve in the lathe and touching up the rubber tip with a sharpening stone. Worked great. You could do it with a drill, or of course you can always buy a new one. I don't know if the pilot screw can make it rich enough to turn the plug black or not.

Wayne

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.