Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didn't want to hijack the other thread since I need to go the opposite.
My '97 has the 5 wire flat and works well on my Timeout Camper with LED's.
My sister was interested in the possibility of borrowing the camper and pulling it with her 07 Subaru. She has the 4 wire Flat.
I picked up a 4-5 connector,,,, [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-Plug-In-Simple-47515-Adapter/dp/B000CMHVGM[/ame]
I guess this is for electric brakes,,, or will it work somehow to make the lights work correctly??
I'm always stumped with electrical stuff :?

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
I don't think a connector is all you need. You have a 5 wire connector which is R turn, L turn, Stop, Tail and Ground. She has, with a 4 wire system, R turn/Stop, L turn/Stop, Tail and Ground. To drive your trailer lights you will have to separate the R and L turn from the Brake. I would check with an auto parts store or a trailer supply store. U-Haul might be a good source for information/adapters/converters.

·
Administrator
24,848 Posts
4 to 5 wire converters are available in just about any parts store. I have several of them laying around that I removed from used cars at work.

·
Just one of the guys
4,783 Posts
Dave, I had a connector to pull my aspen with the pickup. The trailer was wired for 5 wire and the truck is 4 wire. How hard it will be depends on the color of your turn signals on the trailer. if they are yellow you will need to get red lenses to replace them. Then build an adapter that will take the 5 wire connector of the trailer and addapt it to the 4 wire plug on the car, and ignore the trailer brake connection.

It is easier to do than it sounds when typing it. I may even have an adaptor out in the garage.

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That video of Rudy's is way out of my league:?
Doug,,,,,,,,,,,, I think I follow you,,, I have to get the camper out of storage yet, to have a better look. Maybe a pic of your adapter would help.

·
Just one of the guys
4,783 Posts
That video of Rudy's is way out of my league:?
Doug,,,,,,,,,,,, I think I follow you,,, I have to get the camper out of storage yet, to have a better look. Maybe a pic of your adapter would help.

I found my connector, but it is closed up with heat shrink and I don't really want to rip it open.

You will need a 4 wire flat trailer end connector, the one you woiud plug into the car.

You will also need and end that is the same as the one on the motorcycle, the one you would plug your trailer into.

Then you need to know what color code is used on the trailer and the car.

Take the left turn/brake of the car and connect it to the left turn of the trailer.
Connect the right turn/brake of the car to the right turn of the trailer.
Connect the marker/tail lights of the trailer to the marker/tail of the car.
Connect the ground to the ground.
ignore the brake cconnectiono of the trailer.
put in the red lenses on the turn signals of the trailer.

It should work.

Or bring it over and I will build it for you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.