Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has installed a 4 degree timing wheel on their 1500 Gold Wing?? I am thinking this could possibly increase fuel mileage a bit, just like advancing the timing on older cars did. I ran most of my older cars at least 2 to 4 degrees advanced from factory recommended settings and got better performance and fuel mileage, this was back when gas was less than half what it is today. Did not seem to hurt anything as I put many thousands of miles on them over the time I owned them.

·
Premium Member
3,605 Posts
Gas here is under $2 a gallon.

I recall those trigger wheels, once many tried them, but then they also lead to pinging and having to get higher octane fuel. Then in time, no longer heard of them.

·
Administrator
58,762 Posts
you will not like the results, save your money.
Pinging on 87 octane will most likely result, and 89/91 octane is NOT more powerful than 87...
that is a myth, pure and simple.

the higher octanes just have additives to prevent pinging on High Compression engines, which the Goldwings are NOT.

the only thing that will save gas, is your hand on the throttle, and the size of the windscreen.
the smaller, the better.

I put a Madstad windscreen on my bike so I can leave it down to the dash, unless it is raing hard, then I just lift it up to eye level.... rain goes over my head.

for the 1500s, keeping the RPMs down to around 2500-2900 will be the best MPG you can get.

when I went on long trips on the interstates, and I pushed it to 85 mph into a headwind, the 1500 dropped to 23 mpg. You just can't push a sheet of plywood into the wind fast, and get good gas mileage. I owned a 94 and 98, both of them had Tulsa Tall windscreens, horrible on MPG numbers.... average 33 mpg, year end, and year out....

but, I alway lived in the wide open spaces of Texas, NM, and AZ, and I did NOT slow down, I pushed it to the speed limit +5 or more if I thought I could get away with it.

·
Premium Member
1,526 Posts
88 & 89 Gold wings had a hesitation problem from take off. Most owners used a 2 or 4 degree trigger wheel to solve that problem. Several of my riding buddies did it back them and improved the hesitation and they still used 87 octane fuel, A friend that was a mechanic for Shell oil company helped a few of us with the mod, he filed down the stock trigger wheel and re installed it so we didn't have to buy an after market wheel.

·
Nobody You Know
277 Posts
Years ago, I read about the wonders of the 4 degree and 6 degree trigger wheel here and other places. While I had my '88 1500 torn down to replace the timing belts, I put a 6 degree trigger wheel on. (Think the 6 degree was intended for the Valkyrie.) I did this right after I bought it, so I'm not sure if it helped or hurt, but I never experienced any pinging or adverse performance on regular gas. I put about 30,000 miles on the bike afterwards before eventually trading it.

·
Registered
69 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
FWIW, I formerly had a '92 Aspy with a 4 deg. trigger wheel. Never a problem using plain old regular 87 octane. Had a tall Tulsa shield as well which did drop the mpg a bit but nothing too large. I've now owned a Valkyrie on which I've installed the Valkyrie I/S ICM witch gives a 2 deg. advance up to about 4500rpm, then drops out. That's what Honda used on the I/S due to extra weight from the fairing and trunk. Some years ago I added the 4 deg. T/W to work with the ICM, giving a total of 6 deg. on the bottom end only. I get good mpg(if I behave) and keep the rpm at or below 3k. And I still only use the 87 with no trouble. I've added to my ride with a trunk and a fairing....along with size 12's sticking out in the wind when on the highway pegs. Most of the Valk riders found the 6 deg. T/W gives too much advance, plus they lose performance in the top end.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts