Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a triking trike gl1500. 75.5 wheel base with a modified OEM tree. I am told it is 4.5 drgrees. I am looking to go with the billet one and not sure what to go with, 4 or 6. I would like it to be a little easier to steer but not sure how easy is to much.

·
Premium Member
1,763 Posts
I have 4.5 degree Traxxion billet tree on my Tow Pac trike kit and it is definitely easier to steer but still requires some effort in turns...

6 degree is going to be like power steering and quite easy to steer... Might be a bit sensitive for you at highway speeds but I am told you get used to it after a short time... I have driven 6 degree trikes and they are quite easy to steer... Don't think it would be an issue for me or you...

Les

·
Premium Member
3,379 Posts
I have a '97 GL1500 / Lehman that likely is near same wheelbase as stock 1500, 6 degree EZSteer and while it is easy, in no way is it "twitchy". It steers much easier than when stock trees and has far less tendency to want to react to roadway defects.
I also run a Avon Cobra Trike specific Radial on front, love it.

·
Premium Member
1,763 Posts
CrystalPistol

I didn't say a 6 degree was twitchy??? I said it was like power steering and quite easy... When a group of 4 of us test road trikes at a dealership, all agreed that the 6 degree was very easy to steer and some said too easy...

I'm sure your quite used to it after driving it all these years, but to a newbie trike owner/rider, it initially may be too easy, especially at Interstate speeds, but they will get used to it...

·
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a '97 GL1500 / Lehman that likely is near same wheelbase as stock 1500, 6 degree EZSteer and while it is easy, in no way is it "twitchy". It steers much easier than when stock trees and has far less tendency to want to react to roadway defects.
I also run a Avon Cobra Trike specific Radial on front, love it.
Any idea what your wheel base is??

·
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On the more so crowned roads I find myself having to counter steer to compensate more that I would like. But i'm use to it and would like to make it a little easier with out making it to easy. I don't do the high way and very rarely go over 60. I to put the avon trike tire on and WOW love it. Also replaced the rear tires last summer that made a Huge difference in ride. Lumber to cadi.

·
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tell us more about this tire . What makes it trike specific?
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Avon-Tire-70R18-Trike-90000020646/dp/B00T6J2H4I[/ame]

Check out the link:: I'm sure if you research A little more you will get much more info. I for one was not sure about spending the money. But I did with NO regrets. I didn't think a tire could make such a difference but it did. The ride was much better as well as handling. It handled the crown in the road much better as well.

·
Premium Member
3,379 Posts
Thing I noticed & like about the Avon Cobra Trike Radial is how it takes a set in a corner, like it knows what the rider wants.

Tell us more about this tire . What makes it trike specific?
Avon made it so, even states as much on sidewall.

·
Premium Member
3,379 Posts
CrystalPistol

I didn't say a 6 degree was twitchy??? ...etc...
Didn't mean to infer that you did...
... I just recall having read a number of posts asking as they had heard 6 degrees was "twitchy".

·
Premium Member
1,763 Posts
Didn't mean to infer that you did...
... I just recall having read a number of posts asking as they had heard 6 degrees was "twitchy".
Apologies - maybe I didn't read your post correctly... Actually, when we test road all those trikes, my favorite was a Road Smith with the 6 degree rake... Very enjoyable to ride and drive... When and if I go full trike conversion, a 6 degree rake kit will be on mine...

·
Premium Member
3,379 Posts
No "Ap"s needed:)

My and"Wife Unit's" first trike ride was what seems long ago at CSC'S GRAND OPENING OPEN HOUSE here in Virginia. ... we tried out a couple but they did not have rake kits, aftwer a short ride down a near straight side road that was not smooth, I swore to myself "NO trikes" as they steered very heavy, even on a straight road just holding a steady line fighting the crown.

THEN .... forward to 2004, was offered our 1997 GL1500SE / Lehman GTL at a ritous asking price as he was hot to trot to buy something else(A new $30,000 Illusion Blue GL1800 / Champion SA trike dressed with Kuryakin Accy. as best as I can recall), I figured on my wife riding it most ... but after a week, gave up on that idea. It steered very heavy, . It was work to ride, not fun at all.

I even thought of reselling it

Did some research, asked around, then on a ride stop with a group, was offered a short ride on a buddies' CSC with new rake kit, he was proud of it. I did a big figure 8 in the parking lot / overlook on BRP ....
... and I could not in good conscience, have him ride our Lehman to the next stop as I was sold.

Called a dealer / good buddy that evening to start ball rolling on my order of my own 6 degree EZSteer .... and very soon I was installing it. It came with tube extensions & bearings.

It has proved to be worth every penny in enjoyment since.

·
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
everyone has givin some good info. I am leaning toward the 6 degree. I have the 4 degree now and my wheel base is 75.5. I'm looking to find out what wheel base and with what rake others have and the results. Comparison with what they have driving to there own.

·
Premium Member
3,379 Posts
Wheelbase will not change rake nor will it affect trail.

·
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:?:?Agree. however I questioned the seller if the tree and his response was (depends on your wheel base)

reply :If your wheelbase is the same as a motortrike.then it will be just a 4 deg.

If you do mostly curves all day or weak shoulders etc...then you could do a 6 dag.

A 6 deg kit will be very sensitive.
A 4deg kit is very universal to help with the steering.

not sure:?:?

·
Premium Member
1,763 Posts
I currently ride a 2009 with a Tow Pack conversion and I added a Traxxion 4.5 degree billet triple tree (rake kit)... It's still a tad heavy on some maneuvers but it sure has lightened the steering on most other turns... I still ride on 2 wheels sometimes with the rake kit installed and steering can be a little twitchy under certain circumstances, so I wouldn't want any more rake on my existing rig with 2 wheels as I would probably end up with negative trail...

If I ever do go full trike. which I probably will in another year or two, I'll probably swap out to the 6 degree as it will be just like power steering... Might just see if I can buy a 2009 or 2010 trike and seel my bike instead of doing a conversion - could be more economical if I can run across the right deal...

·
Premium Member
3,379 Posts
My thinking, 6 degree is great in the tight stuff ...
... and if you stay awake, will work on the long straight areas.

But then 4.5 degrees will still work in reducing effort.

I just speak of experience gleaned over the last dozen years with a 6. It coukl be seen as overly sensitive by some riders I suppose, but then a lot of older drivers took awhile to coming around to power steering in the family car.

·
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
got the 4.5 now so I guess it will be the 6 then. thanks everybody. safe travels and ENJOY. summer is here.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts