Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have an idea for a 4 hose manometer instead of the standard one hose method. If you have a sealed bottle of fluid at the bottom of your reference board with 4 hoses coming out of the top with fluid about 1 foot up the hoses. Can you hook it up and do all 4 carbs at once?
I think this will work because if one of the carbs is pulling more, it should raise the level in one of the tubes.

Am I right? Will this work? Should I just use the single hose and be patient?

Thanks for the input.

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

I can't see why it wouldn't work Scott. The only problem might be the sealing of the bottle of excess?

Mike

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
imported post

scotthohio wrote:
I have an idea for a 4 hose manometer instead of the standard one hose method. If you have a sealed bottle of fluid at the bottom of your reference board with 4 hoses coming out of the top with fluid about 1 foot up the hoses. Can you hook it up and do all 4 carbs at once?
I think this will work because if one of the carbs is pulling more, it should raise the level in one of the tubes.

Am I right? Will this work? Should I just use the single hose and be patient?

Thanks for the input.
Your idea should work fine in theory. There is a catch though. Most fluids would be sucked right into the intake. That is the reason mercury is used. It is many times heavier than all other fluids.

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

When I built mine for my Star (only a 2-carb), I used 1/4" clear tubing and inserted some old carb jets (upgrading them at that time) into the tube, which really slowed down the speed in which the fluid travelled. Also I used some 10W-30 for the fluid, so if it accidentally got sucked in, it'd just smoke and sputter for a second, no damage done. I haven't sync'd the Wing yet, not sure if there are any differences.

·
Premium Member
6,765 Posts
imported post

In theory it would work. But the purpose is to set all the carbs individually so as to get them in "sync" on how much the pull is equal. Ifyou want just make four sticks. If you lived closer I'd loan you my carb sticks.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

Get the large vacuum fuel gauge from Harbor Freight for $10. If you think you need 4, get four. I would use 1 or 2.

The benefit of having a gauge is that you will also have various other types of needle fluctuations for diagnostics, if needed.

If your intent is to do... just to do it... then consider mounting it on a wall. A manometer is opened to atmospheric pressure and not bottledup. But hold on, we are talking about pulling vacuum to 15-17 in-Hg (32 in-hg ispure vacuum). The density of water or whatever fluidand pulling a vacuum is too high for a manometer. A manometer are better to measure crank case type pressures.

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
imported post

Where do the hoses hook to on a Wing? The atmospheric side of the carb or the engine side?

I recall my old CB750 had a hook-up on the atmospheric side, and we used 4 oil filled manos on a board. In effect the carb inlet became a venturi meter and the mano reading was a measure of the velocity of air going in to the carb. The actual mano readings were quite low, just an inch or two of water.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Taken off the bottom of the intakes just above the head.

·
Registered
583 Posts
imported post

Back 10 years ago when I first had my 1200 I bought a Morgans carb tune, http://www.carbtune.com/

Best investment I ever made, easy to use, with a direct comparison between each carb.

Having said that is does not work on 6 cylinder machines, the reason being the 3 pulses from each side make the reading too high for the scale, I did contact the maker to ask.

So had to spend again 6 years ago when I got my 1500 for a setof these,

http://www.busters-accessories.co.uk/productInfo.aspx?catRef=EVG6AD

Now in these financial time I can understand money being hard to come by, But both these tools paid for themselves, in reduced petrol consummation and shear driving pleasure.

Hope this helps some, as you members from the other side of the pond say, Just my 2 cents worth.

Nick

Welsh Winger

·
Premium Member
1,423 Posts
imported post

Why not get in line for the Carb Gauges Loaner Program in the For Sale section? The gauges are moving from member to member quickly, they must be working well, there have been no complaints! All it will cost you is the shipping to yourself from whoever has them before you in line...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.