Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

The worldwide economic news is depressing. I went to an economic outlook presentation awhile back where the speaker said they don’t expect any recovery until 2011 and then only slight. I saw a recent report that we here (specifically the California Counties where I live and work) have the second toughest economic environment next to some city in Florida. Seems the cost of living is second highest in the US here – and the jobs don’t match. This isn’t news – except for the wealthy retirees and tourists (when they come) most people work two jobs or do without – even in good times. All is a bit unnerving since I work for a performance hall that depends on “shows” being booked and people attending them. Not a lot of “discretionary” income around for “entertainment” these days. They (the experts at the economic seminar) suggested working on ourselves during this downtime – education, health – anything to improve yourself during the down time. So, I took 9 software courses in a week and started back at the gym this week (been out of the gym since my July 4[suP]th[/suP] wreck). It is amazing what clarity comes from such things.

This week it has been 40s and 50s (F) on my morning and evening commutes. Mornings the last 2 days were dense fog and road wet. This morning – although the forecasters called for the same fog – clear as can be and dry pavement below. My ride along the ocean caught the sunrise at my back as it cast its morning glow on the mountains up ahead. You could see as far out to sea as the curvature of the earth would allow. Up ahead – as is always a wonder to me in the wide open spaces of California - I could see the trapped colder air flowing over the mountain top where the University I work is at the base. The clouds clung and oozed over the mountain towards the college like so much marshmallow sundae sauce over a pile of ice cream.

As I ride, I have plugged in my MP3 player – mostly filled with rock tunes from all decades starting in the 70s. I switch between it and the FM channels and AM for “talk” radio. Sometimes to the Weather Band to see what tomorrow will bring in off the Pacific Ocean. I have had to don my Tourmaster winter gloves and use the grip heaters on my recent commutes. I wear a neck gaiter in the morning and my DSX Jacket with the “Thinsulate” liner. Some days I wear my “Bulletproof” nylon overpants – but today I wore my “Draggin’ Jeans” with the Kevlar lining – they are heavier and warmer so I tend to skip the overpants with these. I have hot air streams blowing over my feet and up my leg as they come off the engine. I watch as my GPS changes from Night mode to Day mode on my morning commute and in the reverse in the evening. I set my windshield up “high” and close the vent on these cooler rides. Gas has dropped to nearly –$1.90 – LOW for these parts. So weekend riding for more enjoyment is more affordable.

Yes the world is a mess – but as I ride and take in all the wonders of creation – I marvel at my comfort and how far we’ve come. I say a little prayer and commune with the almighty. Thank you for allowing me to be alive during this most wonderful of time. Having the time of my life.

:action:

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
imported post

Dit-di-di-di-diddi-ditto's for me on my morning commute's.:action:
Too bad I have no advice to share for those who are whintorizeling their bikes!:shock: Can't even spell the word!:baffled:

:D

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Blackdog wrote:
All is a bit unnerving since I work for a performance hall that depends on “shows” being booked and people attending them. Not a lot of “discretionary” income around for “entertainment” these days.

Yes the world is a mess – but as I ride and take in all the wonders of creation – I marvel at my comfort and how far we’ve come. I say a little prayer and commune with the almighty. Thank you for allowing me to be alive during this most wonderful of time. Having the time of my life.

Blackdog, you mind if I ask what performance hall you work for and as what? I visit that area and some theatres every now and then.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

SpiderBob wrote:
Blackdog wrote:
All is a bit unnerving since I work for a performance hall that depends on “shows” being booked and people attending them. Not a lot of “discretionary” income around for “entertainment” these days.

Blackdog, you mind if I ask what performance hall you work for and as what? I visit that area and some theatres every now and then.
PM sent

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Blackdog wrote:
SpiderBob wrote:
Blackdog wrote:

We just had our meeting yesterday where we were told now many million we are in the hole projected to end ofthe fiscal year - not too good. Layoffs are expected in the coming months as is so many other places.

But... when I ride, it all goes away. There truly is a freedom, of which I am so grateful for.

·
Premium Member
63,070 Posts
imported post

Try my county #1 in the Nation for home foreclosures.. #3 in crime.. Not much going on around here except shootings and carjacking...
The California Chicken Dance..........
We've been socked in up for with fog also..I'm in the Delta, you know 1000 miles of water.. Lots of wet corners around here..
Like you said 1 good thing, gas is cheaper and that's got to help a lot of people.......

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.