80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

how much better are the 416 rear progressive air shocks over original equipment

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Much better, great for 2-up and pulling a trailer.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

In the case of the 1100, a big improvment. No more bottoming out even when 2 up. On my 1500 much more solid in the curves. Ditto on my previous 1200SEI. Progressive shocks and fork springs really help an 1100. With progressive springs up front you don't need any pressure in the forks.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
imported post

Do you have a good source for the 416's

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
imported post

I have been thinking about this for a while, my wife and I are a bit chunky and I am worried about bottoming out. To make the ride comfy one up I have the pressure way up, kinda wondering if the non air shock is even good.....

Anyone have any suggestions on how to check this??????

·
Registered
10,509 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

93Wing wrote:
Found this site, looks like it reverts back to MAW when looking for availability.

Never heard of this place, anyone have any dealings with this place?????

This is for a 93 ASP. but there are lots of others there.....

http://underbid.com/action/display/item/780-1057850626/sku/16839.html
I boo boo'd, those will fit but if you have short legs like I do get the 12" ones to lower the rear alittle.

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
imported post

Well after reading this thread I finally went out and installed new seals in my 416 shocks. I've had the seals for about a month now but the weather has been tooooo nice to wrench. Got it done in just over two hours. Then went for a ride. WOW. It's like a different bike. Plush and handles great. Thanks for the inspiration.

Pat in Albuquerque.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
imported post

I'm going through my '81, which I bought as a fixer. It had a trailer hitch installed, and the original air shocks have been removed and replaced with Progressive brand "tour Tuned" non-air shocks. I'm wondering if I should keep these, or go back to the stock air shocks (which I already have). I've seen a few posts on rebuilding the stock air shocks, but need to decide which way to go.

Thanks for any opinions!

Todd

P.S. I will probably not be pulling a trailer, but we do ride 2 up, 350+ weight. Already have progressives in the front.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The main consideration for using air shocks is to be able to adjust the suspension for both solo and 2up riding. Normally with the hard saddlebags covering the shocks it's difficult to get at them to adjust for differing loads. With air shocks it's easy to adjust the pressure for solo and dual riding as well as to compensate for the tongue weight of a trailer. If you ride solo with the suspension set for 2 up you're going to get a harsher ride than optimum, which means you will miss out on one of a Goldwing's best features.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.