Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi guys,

i have just wired up a 5 in 1 unit from Showchrome which has the voltmeter, clock and temperature gauge on it and I'm wondering if I have actually wired it up correctly or not. When I turn on the ignition it lights up as it should and shows the relevant info but I'm not sure if when you turn the ignition off, it should still show battery voltage,clock and temp. The warning led's go out but there is still a live display without the backing lamps being on. If this is correct then ok as it obviously won't be too much of a drain on the battery but if it's wrong, I need to know so I can try and sort it without the battery running out. I believe I have wired it correctly as in the black wire to ground, the red wire to constant 12v and the orange wire to switchable 12v supply.:baffled:

Any help guys, always appreciated.:clapper:

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,195 Posts
imported post

The unit that I had on my bike also showed the time and temp with key off.

It just depends how you want it to work. The current draw is not enough to effect the battery short term; say a few weeks. But might be enough over several months to make a difference.

If the unit will keep correct time without the red wire being hooked up between times, you could make it also switchable. That would depend on whether or not it has an internal backup battery.

I doubt you have anything to worry about though.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

well. if you wired it directly to the battery it will show the temp. if the time is loss if you disconnect it then it is made to be connected directly to the battery. if not, then it could be wired with a relay.

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks guys. I'm not really bothered about the clock side of things working as I have the main display clock on the console. I'll wait and see what the drain on the battery is like before considering making the constant 12v supply line switchable or not.

Once again guys, thanks for your help here. Great forum and loads of info available. Keep it up...
Gordie

·
Premium Member
2,169 Posts
imported post

I have one of those on my SuperMagna.

Three wires if I remember correctly. Black to ground, orange to permanant live, red to switched live. (I might have the red and orange wires back to front - check the instructions....:shock:)

Yes, it works with the ignition off......well, the clock, temp and voltage gauge does. Once the ignition is on, the backlights and the charge indicators activate too.

I don't think the power draw is much with the ignition off, but if you are hooked into a battery tender, it'll make no odds at all.

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
imported post

I also have one of these on my bike. I wired it per the instructions, black to ground, red to positive, orange to switchable positive. When I turn off the switchable positive, only the led's turn off. The three displays and the back display lights remain on. Battery draw seems to be very low, however, I haven't actually measured it. Now that the bike is parked for the winter, the battery is disconnected / removed.

I have found that these meters are moisture sensitive and are not water proof. At times it has given me crazy voltage readings, like +28V, and I often have to reset the clock to the correct time.

I can not recommend this product because of these reasons and wish I had bought something else.

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
imported post

You got it right. I had the same unit on my 1100. The display stays on all the time, just the lights go out with the ignition off. The LCDs on the display only pull a few milliamps from the battery.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

I bought three of them for three different bikes, all 1200's. As stated, I didn't like them because they were not waterproof, and in all three cases, the backup lighting burned out, almost immediately. I did like the temp sensor, after I mounted it in the front air vent to get away from the engine heat.

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanks again guys. As it was advertised for a bike i assumed it would be waterproof. Guess that was a bit wrong. It's all wired in now so i'll see what happens with it. I mounted it on the inside of the fairing over the vent below the speaker on the right hand side so hopefully it won't get too wet.

Appreciate the info guys.
Gordie

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

I used velcro for all of mine. That way I could hide it when I was parked and remove it when it rained.

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

When wired correctly, the time and temperature will show at all times. The LEDs and backing lights will come on only when the bike is turned on.

I took mine apart , taped over the LCD, and sprayed several coats of acrylic on the circuit board to waterproof it. Then removed the tape and reassembled it. Works fine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.