Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hello all, I'm back with another gem of a question. A real tough one I'm sure.

I just finished pulling my radiator and fixing leaking upper hose on my GL1200A (so glad thats all it was) and while I was doing that I took out the left hand storage box to rmove the top compartment and found a wire with a five pin connector under the box. Does this connect to a headset plug for the Radio? :baffled:
I do not have a CB. If it is for a headset, I guess the next question is where is a good source to complete the connection and get a headset for my helmet?

Looking forward to warmer weather. 26F this morning was a bit on the nippy side.:snowman: Didn't keep me from taking her to work though.

Having great fun driving this baby. Runs Great! :D:

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

There is a 5 pin lead that should go into the other 5 pin lead coming from the junction box that is attached to the inside of the fairng (under the left pocket). Another five pin lead comes out of this box and this is the leaad that your helmet plugs into.

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

yes, usually througha junction box (if you have one), I dont recall whether a headset will plug directly into it, or if the gender is backwards but if it does, you have music and can at least :action:talk to yourself:action:Itsa skinny cord.

Ajunction box isnt terribly hard to make if youre handy with soldering iron.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

It is a five pin male connector. There is no junction box under the left cover. Just what appears to be a storage compartment. I take it I need some kind of junction box inside this compartment attached to the connector with an input plug for a headset wire?

Anyone have details of this? Pictures? Is this just for listning to the radio and cassette through a headset? Sorry for all the questions. Just wondering what my options are.

Thanks,

Harry

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
imported post

Here's a picture of the junction box. You can buy a male-female 5 pin converter and plug your helmet into the existing cord (the one on it's own that plugs into the J box, also seenin the picture), but of course that way your passenger won't benefit.

[align=center][/align]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

I believe that 5pin male din, (M pattern I assume?) is the lead out from the back of the AM/FM/Cassete 39100-MG9-8710-M1 to the Headset Junction box 39240-MG9-8110-M1 as supplied in the Headset Junction Box kit 08118-MG980.

The single male from the AM/FM/Cassette unit would connect to the Junction Box where it is split for the rider and passenger units to connect to.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

If you look at the below diagram, you will see the Radio Assembly has a cable leading out the bottom 5th from the left, following it down it mates to the Junction Box which would be mounted, if installed, below the left side box. The front headset cable extension is led up through a grommet and exits left of the Handle Bar Head in the fairing work facing. And of course the passenger extension is lead back to the let side of the rear seat.

I am guessing you do not have this option, but with the gender bender, (which you could easily make), you could connect up a headset for you in this manner.

Sorry, but I have not traced the wiring through my junction box yet, but my curiosity is piqued and I will soon.

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

The helmet headset wont plug in directly (thanks, Panasonic!!) You can buy all the parts at Radio Shack to make a junction.

(2) F - DIN 180* connectors (like the one on the headset, Female sockets)

several feet of 22 gauge insulated wire for headset circuits

same length of RG-174 coax cable for the microphone.

Some kind of plastic tubing to run the wires in, or electrical tape

Save a ton of money over buying those expensive molded plastic junctions. The mic must be shielded from the headset speakers through the coaxial cable or the feedback will be deafening. Steve has a diagram for the connector hookup or I can dig one out of the dusty files.

Can also hook up the headset speakers w/o the mic.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
imported post

Thanks Dave and all for the great information and diagrams. I would like the details on the connector hook up and I will work on putting this together for my ride.

What a great information source and group of people I found here! Hope I can return the favor when the opportunity arises.

Harry

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

I will take a picture of the connector and upload it. I don't think it's an M pattern. I'm at work and will check when I get home. Thanks for that diagram. It's very helpful.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imported post

Dave here is a picture of the connector.From what I am hearing I can either get a junction box to plug it into or get a five pin female lead to plug directly into my headset.

If thats that case I will probably just plug directly unless my wife decides she wants to ride on a regular basis.

Can I get this adapter from my local Radio Shack?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

That is M pattern from the picture. Radio shack is possible, but a good electronics supply is the ticket,

Looking down from above the end of the connector you will be soldering the pinout is as follows

Pin 1 @ 3:00 o'Clock Mic live
Pin 2 @ 4:00 O'Clock Mic sheild
Pin 3 @ 6:00 O'Clock Speaker sheild
Pin 4 @ 7:00 O'Clock Speaker left
Pin 5 @ 9:00 O'Clock Speaker right

Be exceedingly careful as the pins are pressed into a plastic housing. If you choose to solder without extracting them first, you will need an excellent heat sink, that plastic melts fast! The ideal cable to use is three sheilded singles in a sheilded group, but that is very hard to find. Personally I led my earphones, 32ohms by the way, and my mic using their original cables and plugs to a small jb where I mini phoned them over to a 5 pin din actually housed in the small jb. Then I simply plug the whole thing in. The short proximal run of the leads in the jb has caused no feed back to date.

I have not had the chance to explore the inner workings of the JB yet, but I have a hunch...Dave have you already figured it out?....I will get back to you on that.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

If you can grip the pins on the unwired end with a pair of long nosed pliers it will help as a heat sink. Look in the connector and you usually can see the tab holding the pin in the shell, the right sized piece of metal or a small screwdriver slightly ground down usually works in pressing the tabs in so you can pull out the pin.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.