Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I recently purchased a really nice '89 1500 with a custom painted and matched Savage trailer.

The 5 pin wiring plug on the trailer had all but one wire broken inside the connector housing. After being unable to figure out how the former owner had wired the trailer using cause and effect, I decided to approach the mystery from the bike side.

I took the trailer plug and made a 6 foot open ended harness so I could work things from the bike seat and see what was what. I used a lamp taken from the trailer to ring out the connections.

Here is what I discovered:

Pin 1 (common) + Pin 2 = R Turn (works perfectly)
Pin 1 (common) + Pin 3 = L Turn (same)
Pin 1 (common) + Pin 4 = Running (presumably)
now for the really wierd part...

Pin 1 + Pin 5 make the brake light work but inverse to expected. It only goes off when I press the brake switches.

To make it work right I have to use Pin 4 + Pin 5.

Does that sound normal to you?

Any guidance here?
Thanks all.

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
imported post

you could try it if it dosnt work I would look at the groung on the break lights on the trailer they may be wired wrong

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey Rudy :waving:Your very welcome to the best Goldwing forum on the net. :clapper:

:leprechaun::18red::leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

Hi Rudy and welcome, :waving:. Here is a diagram of a standard 12n (7pin) towbar socket. It also covers most UK & European wire colours. The colours don't matter, just track the wires from your lights connection and connect them up to the pins as shown. The pin layout is universal.
I hope this is helpful.

[align=center]
[/align]

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Hi KOOTS,

I don't understand what you mean by "you could try it"...
Try what?

Remember, this is looking at the bike output from the bike not from the trailer.

I just want to get the bike side straighened out first because I plan to rewire the trailer from scratch. Electrical was not the strong point of the former owner and I don't want to fix one cluge with an anti-cluge. If you know what I mean.

Thanks

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

03Silver.
What an excellent 7 ping diagram. I'll keep that one thanks. Do happen to have one for a 5 pin connector?
--
Rudy

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
imported post

Rudy wrote:
I recently purchased a really nice '89 1500 with a custom painted and matched Savage trailer.

The 5 pin wiring plug on the trailer had all but one wire broken inside the connector housing. After being unable to figure out how the former owner had wired the trailer using cause and effect, I decided to approach the mystery from the bike side.

I took the trailer plug and made a 6 foot open ended harness so I could work things from the bike seat and see what was what. I used a lamp taken from the trailer to ring out the connections.

Here is what I discovered:

Pin 1 (common) + Pin 2 = R Turn (works perfectly)
Pin 1 (common) + Pin 3 = L Turn (same)
Pin 1 (common) + Pin 4 = Running (presumably)
now for the really wierd part...

Pin 1 + Pin 5 make the brake light work but inverse to expected.
I don't think that's right Rudy. Any I've seen only had one pin allocated to the brake lights. A 5-pin setup means;

1 pin for both brake lights,
1 pin for both tail lights,
1 pin for right turn signal,
1 pin for left turn signal and
1 pin for earth/ground.

BTW, welcome to the forum. :D

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Hi BigAl,

"1 pin for both brake lights,
1 pin for both tail lights,
1 pin for right turn signal,
1 pin for left turn signal and
1 pin for earth/ground."

Thats what I was expecting so you can imagine my surprise when I had the inverted function on pin 5.

Makes me think that someone used a relay or had a switch somewhere..

"BTW, welcome to the forum."

Thanks! This is the friendliest forum I think I've ever been on.
--
Rudy

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

SorryRudy, I just assumed it was a 7 pin setup as that's most common. here is the socket (bike end) on the left and the plug (trailer end) on the right;

[align=center]
[/align]

[align=left]2 left hand turn- yellow
[/align]
[align=left]3 earth/ground - white [/align]
[align=left]5 right hand turn - green

6 stop - red[/align]
[align=left]7 tail (also called clearance, side markers, parking) - brown[/align]
[align=left]Like I said, the colours ae just a guide, it's the pin layout you need to watch.[/align]

[align=left][/align]

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

what might be causing the problems is ..if there is a brake light modulator (wig wag)fitted to the bike ,,these are wired to each brake light seperatly,,check this out ...Ciaran

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.