Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening to all. I have an issue with trailer wiring on my 2015 Goldwing. I have installed a trailer hitch and the plug and play wiring harness for the Goldwing. Checking the wiring with a test light, all is good coming out of the 5 wires. I bought a 5 to 4 wire converter and hook it up. I have tail lights out of the plug, when I activate brakes I get a good test. Now here is the kicker, I activate my left turn signal and get output on the left and right. When I activate the right turn signal, again I get signal out of both. Any ideas?

·
Administrator
Xenforo vehicle detail line
59,055 Posts
My guess is that the Ground is not good...

be sure that white wire is attached to a good solid, clean, ground surface.

·
Premium Member
6,307 Posts
Did you get the results by hooking up the trailer and watching the lights or were you checking with a test light? I ask as the problem might exist in the trailer????

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used a test light out of the flat 4 connector. The trailer lights work fine on dads bike. For some reason when I turn on either turn signal both flash coming out of the converter

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Personally I found it better to stay with the 5 wire system. I also had the issue of "ghost flashing", where when I would use the left turn signal, the right would also flash but it was less dim. I tried different 5to4 converters and also made a better ground connection to no avail. Since reverting back to a 5 wire..no issues!

·
Premium Member
2,248 Posts
I would ask if you are using a standard 5/4 converter or a powered one that has a separate lead straight to battery. They cost twice as much but they work. Have seen several problems with standard non powered converters.

·
Administrator
25,611 Posts
I would ask if you are using a standard 5/4 converter or a powered one that has a separate lead straight to battery. They cost twice as much but they work. Have seen several problems with standard non powered converters.
We have seen several problems with those isolators also.

·
Administrator
Xenforo vehicle detail line
59,055 Posts
I am going to wade back in.

Get rid of the converters period.
They are not necessary, IF, you will add one wire to the trailer and install separate Brake Lights.

That is far easier to do than messing with the bike, and it is one heck of a lot more stable.

That is what I had to do, after finding that the "powered isolator" and the 5-4 converter both burned up on my bike.

Why" because every time I stop beside the road, I use the 4-way flashers and converters and Emergency Flashing lights don't work well, they burn up in a heart beat.

Now, I have full lighting just like it is supposed to be, Straight through to the trailer's equivalent light.
Turn to same side Turn light.
Brake to Brake Lights
Running to Running Lights.
Ground to Light wire grounds/frame of trailer.

Look at this video, no convertors, no isolator.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts