Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in process of replacing the timing belts on my 2000 GL1500, and found the belts I purchased about five years ago. They are Gates brand, still in the box, and have been stored in a tool cabinet. My question is----- since they obviously have no wear, no kinks, etc. are they still OK to install? I'd really hate to toss them and repurchase, however I don't want to put my engine at risk! Any thoughts, advice, observations, etc. on this??

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
HMMM, , , the REAL question is, , , If you DO install those 5 yr old belts (with no wear and no kinks) and they break, ,how hard are you gonna kick yourself for not getting NEW ones????

Its no guarantee that NEW belts won't break, , ,and those 5 yr old belts could last for years to come with no problem. Any advice you get will be 100% guess-work, , but my .02 cents are ,, , , if the 5 yr old belts have been out of the sun and in a cool place, , , I'D PUT EM ON.

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input, I am also prone to going ahead and using the belts. Bluthndr31, I can truly say that they have been kept out of the sun, but-------- "in a cool place" ?
There is no such place in southern Alabama!!!

·
Administrator
25,601 Posts
Since they do last much longer than 5 years even when on an engine and they have not been under stress or extreme heat I would use them.

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
(I know it can be done faster but) Planning a half of day of work on your prized passion and then to NOT spend $35 for a new pair of belts?

Amazon has them with free shipping.

I am frugal as they come but I'd buy new.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I would inspect them very closely. Any issues, replace, otherwise use them. Maybe look some some kind of date code, too. I bet a lot of "new" belts have quite a bit of shelf time on them.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Yes I would think they would be OK . Can't tell you how long are belts at work have hung on the wall in the shop till we need them years us all I know. And lie others have said just because you go buy NEW belts when we're those made . I would not bat a,eye and would put them on . Sincerely Roger H.

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to all of you for the feedback-----just goes to show-again,how helpful this forum is!!

·
Registered
145 Posts
I say no. Rubber loses solvents and dries out. Thats why rubber smells like.... rubber. Tires expire for that reason. Bent valves are $$$

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
25,601 Posts
I bought a 24 year old, 115,000 mile 1100 that according to the owner the belts had never been changed. I didn't even ride it before changing them but goes to show they will last a long time.

·
Registered
72 Posts
T275 TIMING BELT

Product # 85950439
  • PTFE-infused jackets to reduce frictional losses and tooth shear.
  • High grade HNBR rubber for superior heat and contamination resistance.
  • Premium tensile members providing maximum strength.
  • Aramid reinforced nylon jackets and backsides increase durability and lifetime.
very under stressed belts on the engine for how they are made.
https://assets.gates.com/content/dam/gates/home/resources/resource-library/catalogs/powergripdrivedesignmanual_17195_2014.pdf

per laws anything having to do with emissions of a vehicle, must last a minimum of 100k miles.

·
Administrator
25,601 Posts
T275 TIMING BELT

Product # 85950439
  • PTFE-infused jackets to reduce frictional losses and tooth shear.
  • High grade HNBR rubber for superior heat and contamination resistance.
  • Premium tensile members providing maximum strength.
  • Aramid reinforced nylon jackets and backsides increase durability and lifetime.
very under stressed belts on the engine for how they are made.
https://assets.gates.com/content/dam/gates/home/resources/resource-library/catalogs/powergripdrivedesignmanual_17195_2014.pdf

per laws anything having to do with emissions of a vehicle, must last a minimum of 100k miles.
But they have nothing to do with emissions & when they break there are no more emissions.

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,192 Posts
I'm kind've differing from most here, now I'm as cheap as they come, in fact, if you look up the word cheap in the dictionary you'll find a picture of me in color, right next to my old friend Bob.

But $#!t man, $35.00, when you know what you have to lose, that's nuts!!

Rubber has a shelf life, I buy hundreds of them for work, and we pretty much know which ones where old.

But thankfully when ours break, they don't break a work of art.

Like yours will.

·
Premium Member
6,299 Posts
If you bought a 2014 car would you worry about the 5 year old belts. One issue no one has talked about yet, I think, is the length of timing belts. The longer the belt the slower (RPM) the belt will go. Long belts last 100K plus. Little shorties like the Chev Aveo use only suggest 50 to 60K. Do whatever will help you sleep at night. :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
But they have nothing to do with emissions & when they break there are no more emissions.

huh? cam timing can be off due to belts, such as a stretched belt, which affects emissions. some engines are not interference engines, jumping a tooth on a belt, engine would still run, but bad emissions.

the materials of the belt do not degrade, otherwise Honda would have given a time to change if age was a problem on their flagship model which could be had with a seven yr warranty.
the belts are very under stressed, not exposed to the elements and high underhood engine heat.

I just checked mine at 62000 miles when I was changing heads. The belts looked new, zero wear.

·
Premium Member
6,299 Posts
huh? cam timing can be off due to belts, such as a stretched belt, which affects emissions. some engines are not interference engines, jumping a tooth on a belt, engine would still run, but bad emissions.

the materials of the belt do not degrade, otherwise Honda would have given a time to change if age was a problem on their flagship model which could be had with a seven yr warranty.
the belts are very under stressed, not exposed to the elements and high underhood engine heat.

I just checked mine at 62000 miles when I was changing heads. The belts looked new, zero wear.
Valk,
It is not unusual for a belt to look just fine but be broken. They don't usually show signs of failure to the naked eye. It would be like taking your engine apart to see if a connecting rod is going to fail. Can't tell. That is why it is so spooky. Also I agree timing belts can cause emission issues but that is a stretch. (no pun intended) A stretched belt really has no real affect on camshaft timing. If it stretched far enough to cause emission issues the teeth of the belt would not mesh with the sprocket and the engine would not run that way. Emission related components are more likely induction related, sensors, cats etc. I think if you brought your car to your dealer and asked for emission warranty when a belt fails you would have an argument on your hands..

1 - 20 of 31 Posts