Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Forum Diplomat
Joined
·
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

It's cold here in the Pacific Northwest, cold but sunny....arctic cold front down from the Great north above! Thank you, Canada! Good day for a ride, but.... I wanted to take the KLR650, not the ST because I rode it yesterday..... but I don't have an electrical pigtail for my Widder vest on the KLR.....

But then, I remembered that I have two electric vests, one of which I made myself off instructions on the internet years ago, and which has a SAE connector. Twenty minutes of screwing around, and I had a SAE pigtail off the KLR, which, I thought smugly, I could very easily plug a battery maintainer into, too.

I hooked it all up, started the bike, and ran off into a beautiful, frigid, sun-shot day! I had wired in a manual off/on switch into the vest connector..... so I would ride until I got warm, turn it off until I got cold, and repeat, repeat, repeat. I didn't leave it on contantly because I don't know how much amp suck that little KLR stator will put up with....anybody here know? Can you run an electric vest constantly off the stock KLR stator?

Anyhow, I had a great ride. Came home, unplugged the vest, and plugged in the maintainer! to paraphrase somebody famous: "There is nothing, absolutely nothing, so much worth doing as messin' around with motorcycles!"

(here's my homemade vest with connectors! Ain't she a beaut? Craftsman, me!:cheeky1:)
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,391 Posts
imported post

I made mine too, we probably used the same design, but at -4C it's still a little on the chilly side for my bones just yet.
 

·
Forum Diplomat
Joined
·
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

tricky wrote:
I made mine too, we probably used the same design, but at -4C it's still a little on the chilly side for my bones just yet.
Minus 4 Celery! That's awfully cold! Wouldn't catch me out in it!

Making the vest was fun...... I used these general instructions: http://www.shadowriders.org/faq/electricvests.html

and I used an old t-shirt slit up the front.... I wound the teflon-covered wire around the shirt (see diagram), holding it in place with dabs of hot glue.... I then bought a cheap fleece sweatshirt, cut off the sleeves... which was dumb! Should have left them...... and then glued the vest to the shirt. Hardest part was stripping the teflon wire, and then hooking up those skinny wires to the lamp cord and SAE connector...... solder wouldn't work for me at all because I just can't solder! I finally wound the thin wire into the thick wire, crimped thebraided part hard into a metal connector, and then filled the whole thing with hot glue! It holds, if you're very very careful! The thing has worked for years, though; my wife got tired of looking at it and bought me a store-bought Widder......... Women........
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
200 Posts
imported post

I love the DIY stuff like your vest. Have thought about making one but my $10 drug store heating pad works great.

As far as I can tell, nichrome wire doesn't solder. A mechanical connection is the only thing that works.

Q
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,880 Posts
imported post

Mel, You are probably ok with the KLR stator output but your dealer should be able to tell you its capacity. I had the same question about my 1500. I'm running a full jacket liner, socks and gloves with no problems. I think I have some extra connectors if you need one.

Bernie
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,391 Posts
imported post

Cousin Jack wrote:
tricky wrote:
I made mine too, we probably used the same design, but at -4C it's still a little on the chilly side for my bones just yet.
Minus 4 Celery! That's awfully cold! Wouldn't catch me out in it!

Making the vest was fun...... I used these general instructions: http://www.shadowriders.org/faq/electricvests.html

and I used an old t-shirt slit up the front.... I wound the teflon-covered wire around the shirt (see diagram), holding it in place with dabs of hot glue.... I then bought a cheap fleece sweatshirt, cut off the sleeves... which was dumb! Should have left them...... and then glued the vest to the shirt. Hardest part was stripping the teflon wire, and then hooking up those skinny wires to the lamp cord and SAE connector...... solder wouldn't work for me at all because I just can't solder! I finally wound the thin wire into the thick wire, crimped thebraided part hard into a metal connector, and then filled the whole thing with hot glue! It holds, if you're very very careful! The thing has worked for years, though; my wife got tired of looking at it and bought me a store-bought Widder......... Women........
I noticed a few riders heading to Port Dover this morning it is -1C still it might get a little warmer this afternoon with the bright sunlight.

I used the instructions from this site http://ridemyown.com/articles/other/make_heated_clothing.shtml

Had no problem soldering the stranded wire, the other half sewed mine into the lining of my old Honda jacket.

I dont use a controller, just turn it off when it gets too warm, with me that takes a while :)

If I buy a new riding suit this year I shall repeat the process in the liner.

There are kits out there now http://kustomkomfort.com/index.html
 

·
Forum Diplomat
Joined
·
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Dubswing wrote:
Mel, You are probably ok with the KLR stator output but your dealer should be able to tell you its capacity. I had the same question about my 1500. I'm running a full jacket liner, socks and gloves with no problems. I think I have some extra connectors if you need one.

Bernie
Thanks, Bernie..... I'm good to go with the ST1300 and Widder, even thoughWidder seems to have gone out of business.... Red's got a Widder, too. I don't need connectors for the homemade.... get 'em at Walmart!

Can't seem to find out about the KLR stator.... some guys put in a hd stator, but I can't find out anything about that, either! The vest is the only thing I'm running off the KLR other than the lights.... I think it should be fine, too. We'll see.....

Are you gonna be at Montrose? We gotta ride together someday!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,656 Posts
imported post

Thanks for all the help in this thread. I finished my first prototype jacket liner yesterday and it is HOT! Of course it was in the 70's here when I was trying it on. Now if we only had some cooler weather for a real test.

I ordered wire from Mouser Electronics. I used a cig plug for the test liner. If all goes well I'll do my real jacket liner.

Mike
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,106 Posts
imported post

what if you went to the truck stop and bought a 12volt heated blanket woudlnt that work?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,656 Posts
imported post

That would work, but you would have two choices...
1)keep it wrapped around you while riding
2)disassemble it and remove the good parts, throw away the material and put it into your jacket liner.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18 Posts
imported post

Cousin Jack wrote:
It's cold here in the Pacific Northwest, cold but sunny....arctic cold front down from the Great north above! Thank you, Canada! Good day for a ride, but.... I wanted to take the KLR650, not the ST because I rode it yesterday..... but I don't have an electrical pigtail for my Widder vest on the KLR.....


I hooked it all up, started the bike, and ran off into a beautiful, frigid, sun-shot day! I had wired in a manual off/on switch into the vest connector..... so I would ride until I got warm, turn it off until I got cold, and repeat, repeat, repeat. I didn't leave it on contantly because I don't know how much amp suck that little KLR stator will put up with....anybody here know? Can you run an electric vest constantly off the stock KLR stator?
As you know, something like that would be handy here in Canada.
I don't know if you got your question answered about the drain on your stator with the vest. Since it is a direct current resistive load you can do a simple calculation. Use an Ohm meter to measure the resistance in your vest. Then simply divide your voltage output by this reading to get the current draw in amps. (ie) 12/resistance of vest =Amps. If you want the wattage then take this result and multiply by your voltage. Amps x Volts=Watts. Or simplified Watts=Voltage squared divided by resistance. I'm sure that your vest only draws a few watts, I'm thinking 100 or less, but you will know when you do the calculation. You should be able to find the output of your stator quite easily. I would guess 600 watts or more. I hope this was helpful to you.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top