Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Sponsored Editorial Content
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Riding across America is the dream of many motorcyclists. The notion of traversing the U.S.A. on two wheels has a certain romantic aspect; 4000 miles unspooling before you like reels of an old, epic film. A lone rider and his/her machine, dusty and stoic, sharing tales of the road with strangers at every stop but never lingering in one place for more than a meal or a night’s sleep.

Unlike some things in life, the dream is not let down by the reality of actually doing it. Every ride across America is special – I’ve done it four times, and each trip provided unforgettable moments, the types of peak experiences we all long for when we get on a motorcycle. Still, there’s a lot to consider when planning a coast to coast trip: Do you use your own bike or rent one? How will you get your motorcycle back home when the ride’s done? What are the essential items to bring? How much time should you allocate, and what route should you take?
Read more about 50 Tips For Riding A Motorcycle Across America at Motorcycle.com.

·
Registered
131 Posts
"How will you get your motorcycle back home when the ride's done?"

That's a dumb question! The ride's done when you ride your motorcycle back home. Sheesh!

·
Premium Member
55,657 Posts
Darn, where do you start and finish if you live in the middle of the USA0 ?????????

·
Premium Member
1,238 Posts
I've been fortunate, I''ve done it four time, three times from the east to the west coast, even to Alaska and once from here in Oregon to the east coast. When I lived in Virginia and Pennsylvania, I made it to Florida several times and also to Canada. Riding them distances, and mostly alone, was a great experience. The trip to Alaska from Virginia was over 13.000 miles round trip and over five weeks

·
Registered
515 Posts
50 tips

The writers missed a few of the most important ones:

1. Do a "shakedown" trip where you ride as far as you expect to on a long day. 1/2 way thru your 1st day is the wrong time to find out that raging butt burn starts after 4 hours on the bike seat .

2. For those that like to read (a lot) a Kindle reader or tablet is a vastly superior way to bring reading material along.

3. Wear gear. also to be tested on shakedown ride.

4. Check tires and chain DAILY.

5. Ride an hour or two before breakfast. At the end of the day it feels like the day started after breakfast. (this even works with kids on family road trips.)

·
Administrator
24,383 Posts

That's a dumb question! The ride's done when you ride your motorcycle back home. Sheesh!
Same thought I had, that article was obviously written for wussies.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Without knowing there was a ride called "Four Corners" I've been dreaming of doing this for a long time.

1. Retire
2. Leave
3. Ride in a circle around the US until you get back home.
4. Repeat as often as necessary to keep sanity

;)

·
Premium Member
825 Posts
Wearing compression shorts helps me. No butt burn after a couple hours. Last year went 917 miles in 17 hours, butt felt fine. My back on the other hand.....

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Darn, where do you start and finish if you live in the middle of the USA0 ?????????
Hey foodman, If you really do live in Stockton Calif. then you must have figured out by now it is not in the center of the USA. If you have not realized it yet you are on the west coast:surprise: Head north or head south and then East...... but most importantly get the hell out of Calif., it sucks really big time. 0:)

·
Administrator
57,474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevtech1

Same thought I had, that article was obviously written for wussies.
I just renewed my Good Sam insurance policies, I have two of them.
Travel Assist for Medical Emergencies... Unlimited miles to get your vehicle back home in case you can't do it yourself among other features, will cover transportation for a healthcare giver and lots of other stuff...

And I also renewed the one called Roadside Assistance. This one is for flats, lock outs, tow to repair facility/home and no mileage limit. So, if I'm alone and break down in the boonies, and can't get it to go myself, I call for help and they send help... This one I used 5 times on one trip when we moved from Arizona to Oklahoma... never a complaint about their service.

Insurance is a thing we all have to consider to do, or not do. If it is needed, it is great. If you never use it, you wonder "why am I paying for this?"

I released the "Good Sam Club" as I no longer pull an RV behind a pickup truck... so that one was wasted money... I asked to be sure it was not required in order for the other two. Answer is 'no', they are independent programs.

In addition to the above, I have the SPOT tracker, with their Emergency EMT transportation costs covered, by ground or by air... this one is almost covered by Travel Assist, but not quite. Being able to push a single 911 button and get help to your specific Lat/Long geo location just can't be over emphasized as to its' value.

I always keep thinking back to the gentleman who was the same age as me 3 years ago, he left Yellowstone National Park to go back home, and then he took a different route than what he told friends he was going to do.... he went off a curve and landed down in a ravine where he was not found until months later by Elk hunters. A SPOT tracker would have zeroed in help for him within hours. At a minimum, it would have left a track showing his route, and a signal within 10 minutes of his actual location. At best, it would still be able to reach the satellites and showing him in once place w/o moving for hours.... a helicopter could zero right into his location 'right now'.

. I leave a SMS text message for those 'who need to know' that I am on the road.... the SPOT will send a text message to everyone on my Contact List and lets them know when I started, and when I stop for the day. And it shows them within 100 feet of where the bike is parked at end of day. Usually within 6 meters.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hey foodman, If you really do live in Stockton Calif. then you must have figured out by now it is not in the center of the USA. If you have not realized it yet you are on the west coast:surprise: Head north or head south and then East...... but most importantly get the hell out of Calif., it sucks really big time. 0:)
I agree but why do u say?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.