Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CJ must be pissed that he wasn't asked to join them!

Haven't looked at the other videos shown yet, but they must be nice also. Seems like he changed bikes along the way. (?)

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
:claps::claps::claps::claps: AWESOME!!!

·
Premium Member
17,087 Posts
That looks like fun, but how do you keep something in the bank account? A few places, he was too close to the edge!

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That looks like fun, but how do you keep something in the bank account? A few places, he was too close to the edge!
He even showed the crash moments. I imagine there was some sponsorship involved.

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts

+1 on that one. Have the means to do it and the wanting to go. But if I did it total collapse of everything by the time I got back.

Looked like a great adventure though.:action:

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Excellent adventure!.........for a thirty year old!:bow:

·
Premium Member
67,694 Posts
What a fun trip
I thought it was interesting that there average mileage was only 163 per day.. They must have had a lot of time off..

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
What a fun trip
I thought it was interesting that there average mileage was only 163 per day.. They must have had a lot of time off..

Did you see some of the roads he was traveling on? I can certainly understand why... :) While I was watching the video I was wondering about how often he was able to find fuel. It wouldn't surprise me if he had to carry extra... I think a trip like that would take a lot of research before leaving.... Still, looks like the adventure of a lifetime!

·
Premium Member
67,694 Posts
They where probably spending the extra time looking for gas.....

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
I went to his website, did a little reading and watched some more of his videos. He was stopping along the way to see the sites, and there were some times when he had to work on the bike. That makes sense. I also noticed that he was carrying extra gas on the bike in his video. One of the things that he mentioned in one of his videos is that the locals inflate the price of gas when they find out that you're a tourist, calling it a tourist tax or something along those lines.

The idea of doing a trip like this intrigues me. But, I have to admit that I'd be a little worried about visiting some of those countries. My luck would be that I'd get lost and ride right into a drug cartels poppy fields or something similar. Maybe someone would decide that they needed my bike more than I do... That kind of thing.... Maybe that's a rational fear, maybe it's a bit irrational, I'm not sure. If I can convince myself that it's relatively safe, I might consider doing it. Of course, I have no interest in riding to Alaska or anywhere north of where I live for that matter.

·
Premium Member
67,694 Posts
Did you watch their Dance Video.. It was put to music, pretty cool

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Did you watch their Dance Video.. It was put to music, pretty cool

Well, I saw him dancing around in a video. I'm not sure if that's the one you're talking about. He's got quite a few videos on the site.

There's a lot to his story. I must admit that I'm very intrigued by it, and I'm seriously considering the possibility of doing it myself... Maybe in a couple of years... I've got too much on my plate right now. I've still got the EFI project to finish before I can think about doing another trip. And, I'd like the next trip to be on the Goldwing. Clear across the country. (Guess I'm either brave or stupid... Probably a little of both)

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
I dont think a Goldwing would be appropriate for this kind of trip... you would need a dual sport like the KLR650..A Goldwing would be so cumbersome and impractical on some of those roads.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
I dont think a Goldwing would be appropriate for this kind of trip... you would need a dual sport like the KLR650..A Goldwing would be so cumbersome and impractical on some of those roads.
I guess I should have clarified that statement. I'd like my next trip to be on the Goldwing, and then the trip after that to be the South American trip. If I decide to actually do it.

I'm one step ahead of you on the bike. I've already been researching KLR 650's, and poking around in some of the adventure motorcycle forums. I figure that once I get the Goldwing up and running reliably, I'll probably sell the FZR... KLR's are pretty inexpensive, and reliable from what I've read. They have a few quirks, but nothing that's a deal breaker. They get good gas mileage too.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
I guess I should have clarified that statement. I'd like my next trip to be on the Goldwing, and then the trip after that to be the South American trip. If I decide to actually do it.

I'm one step ahead of you on the bike. I've already been researching KLR 650's, and poking around in some of the adventure motorcycle forums. I figure that once I get the Goldwing up and running reliably, I'll probably sell the FZR... KLR's are pretty inexpensive, and reliable from what I've read. They have a few quirks, but nothing that's a deal breaker. They get good gas mileage too.

So true.. I think the KLR650 is very reliable on rough terrain.. this bike and of course some BMW's are the preferred rough terrain bikes used most. Its really weird because I would have thought maybe a Honda 650 dual sport would have been a prime selection but i never hear anyone using the Honda for a rough terrain ride.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.