Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My '83 GL1100I has a stumble that starts around 5500 rpm and continues till redline. The last things I did to the bike before this startedwere new air cut offs for all four carbs and shimming the needles.Usuallywhen the bike is still cold it will pull to redline with no stumble but once it warms up it runs greatup to70 mphthen starts the stumble and will overheat above 75 mph. I'm going to do a plug chop on the way home today and see if that reveals anything. Does anyone know what the stock jet & needle sizes are and what rpm range is covered by each jet?

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
imported post

Not sure what the needle sizes are but it sounds like it's running too lean at higher revs.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

jefram wrote:
My '83 GL1100I has a stumble that starts around 5500 rpm and continues till redline. The last things I did to the bike before this startedwere new air cut offs for all four carbs and shimming the needles.Usuallywhen the bike is still cold it will pull to redline with no stumble but once it warms up it runs greatup to70 mphthen starts the stumble and will overheat above 75 mph. I'm going to do a plug chop on the way home today and see if that reveals anything. Does anyone know what the stock jet & needle sizes are and what rpm range is covered by each jet?
Jefram, it sure does sound like a lean condition hot. You are probably looking at either a fuel flow problem, or a low float setting, or a plugged main jet circuit.

Probably 0-1/4 throttle would be pilot jets, 1/4-1/2 throttle a little pilot jet, a little slide cut away, more main jet needle position,, 1/2-3/4 throttle would be slide cut away, more main jet needle position in the jet,, 3/4-wide open -would be mostly main jet opening& possible the lower end of the needle if it doesn't pull out of the jet far enough. Keep in mind that the systems overlap so you would have pilot jet all the way to almost wide open & needle position through most or 1/8 throttle to wide open. As the throttle is opened more the slide lifts as engine speed increases so that lifts the needle up out of the main jet more.

You could also have an ignition problem or a fuel flow problem.

It probably wouldn't hurt to check your ignition advance as that can cause a lack of power & late ign timing can easily cause engine overheating. The only thing is; late ignition usually doesn't cause an engine to not rev up (a little lethargic maybe but it should still rev up).

I don't really know how much a plug chop will show you as the new emission friendly fuel coupled with the Honda's lean burn set-up will probably yield you white plugs even when it's running correctly.

Does it go faster with more power if you run with the choke on when warm? If so you are really leaning out. (check your float level & also check the little screens in the top of the float needle seats).

Added-- Maybe make sure you don't have a restriction in the petcock or tank outlet area. Also, make sure your slides are all lifting with no sticking (no lift = not much air past the slide & not much fuel from the main jet)..

Twisty

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

twisty wrote:
It probably wouldn't hurt to check your ignition advance as that can cause a lack of power & late ign timing can easily cause engine overheating. The only thing is; late ignition usually doesn't cause an engine to not rev up (a little lethargic maybe but it should still rev up).
After searching the archives and finding the same type of symptoms in threads dealing with pulse coils and generators I'm pretty sure it is ignition related. I checked the vacuum advance and found that itwill pull but not holding a vacuum. It will rev all the way to redline it just starts breaking up at 5500 and then starts with the detonation. It did not do this before I pulled the carbs to replace the cut offs so I just figured it was related to that. Thanks for the help!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.