Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I currently have two Suzuki Intruders, an 800 and 1400. I mainly ride the 1400 and I'm looking to sell the 800 and buy my first Wing for two up riding.

A friend of mine has a red 96 Aspencade w/ 80k miles and is considering selling it for $5k.I believe he is the second owner and says the prior owner tookgood care of it. In my search for a Wing, I was originally looking for a 96 or newer w/ less than 50k miles. Ultimately I wanted to find a red SE2000 w/ less than 30k miles for $8k or under. However, this seems like a good deal and I could probably ride it for a year and sell it for $5k and then move up to an 1800 or newer 1500 SE.

Should I be concerned about it having 80k miles? Anything I should be concerned about on a 96 Aspencade? Anything I should look for? Good deal? TIA.

·
Administrator
27,900 Posts
imported post

Why would you be concerned about 80,000 miles? That is barely broken in on a goldwing. Question is did the second owner take care of it?

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

We bought an 88 GL1500 with 81k on the clock two years ago. It was on it second owner and had been well cared for. All I have done to it is normal maintenance: tires, timing belts and oil changes and its been troublefree. I dont think miles make much difference on these bikes as long as the normal and regular maintenance is kept up.
The one thing that surfaced on mine was the switches on the bars are now getting a bit
dirty and sticky. Contact cleaner seems to work on them for the most part in lieu of tearing them apart for cleaning.
Last year we were gone ten days on the bike and it performed beautifully. Visited Colorado, Wyoming, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, and Oklahoma. Ride it pretty
much everyday.

·
Premium Member
3,634 Posts
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
Question is did the second owner take care of it?
Exactly!!! How good of a friend is he? Why is he selling?

Other than that...I would jump all over it!! 80k is nothing to a properly kept/maintained Wing.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
imported post

FWIW, I just dropped $4100 on a '93 wing with 82,500 +/- on the odometer. Although I live in CT, one of the most expensive states in the nation. The mileage concerned me a bit too, prior to investigation. From what I could determine, the general consensus seems to be that that kind of mileage is just getting warmed up. The first owner was meticulous. I have records for everything. The guy I bought it from did only routine maint. I look forward to many years of trouble free cruzin'. This is just food for thought. I am in no manner way shape or form trying to present as an experienced wing owner. I'm new to this site and this is my first wing. There are some real nice folk here with lots of experience. They were nice enough to lend me guidance in my purchase. I'm sure they'll do the same for you. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

Yes, he as the second owner took good care of it. He only had it for a year or two and put 5k miles on it or so. He bought it from a private individual for $5,100 and he said he put a few hundred dollars into it. Bearings, etc. He has been unemployed for almost a year and is selling it to buy a project Harley.

He is not a real good friend. He has been a tax client of mine for years. He is a carpenter and I hired him this summer to put an attic in my garage. I helped and got to know him a little better. He seems to be an honest, hard working guy. He said the first owner had the timing belts maintained, etc. before they were due.

I'll find out more this weekend. He is looking at the project Harley on Thursday. If he buys it he will be selling his Wing.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

Sounds like from your last post the machine seems to have been well cared for. I too would jump on it. The price is what I paid for my 88 nearly 2 1/2 years ago. Finding a later model here usually means paying 7.5k+ here. even with that kind of mileage.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

I'm leaning toward the 96. However, I just found an 89 w/ 36k miles for about the same price. Should I give it a look before I jump on the 96? Or would I be better off w/ a newer bike w/ more miles?

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

I don't know which is the better value; I do know I once owned a '96 Aspencade with 90,000 miles, whichhad beenwell-cared for and was running like a Swiss watch before it got destroyed in a wrestling match with a deer. I had owned it since 10,000 miles when I bought it from a nice man that liked to own, not necessarily ride, Goldwings, and he wanted one of the then brand new 1800's...... I'm convinced that had we not hit that dumbdeer, we would be riding the '96 Aspie today.

As so many on here have said, a well cared for 1500 will last "pert near" forever....

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
imported post

I would think you would have a good deal either way. The 89 is still one great machine, don't let the age fool you, it's not quite like a car with the years. The engines have proven they last for a long time. One thing I would recommend is change the timing belts on the 96 if you get it, if they were changed at 40K then they should be about due again. Don't know whether the 89 had them changed or not if you don't know then change them as well. Good luck, wish I'd found those deals.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

I would tend to get the newest bike for the right $$'s, just because.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
imported post

If you know the guy well enough and believe he took care of it no reason not to buy it. Like the other guys say 81k is just broken in. I have a VS800 downstairs also, beat my better half up pretty good when I catch a good bump on it. Your wife's gonna love that 1500. They do not disappoint.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The '88 and '89 are good bikes but the later 1500s have more common parts. The first two years of the 1500 are a bit different. The later 1500s had an improved rear wheel, roller bearings in the rockers, and a few other improvements not to mention seven years less wear and tear. 80,000 miles isn't anything. My '93 has 132,000 miles on it and runs like new, nothing done to it but the usual routine maintenance. A fellow near here has almost 400,000 miles on his '93 but he had to replace the clutch around 300,000 miles. There was a 1500 on eBay that had 515,000 miles on it and was still running. Go for the '96 if it looks good cosmetically.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
imported post

There is the good question!!! whats the most miles everyone has seen or heard of on a WING?? 1000, 1100, 1200, 1500, 1800 ???

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
imported post

macguiyver wrote:
There is the good question!!! whats the most miles everyone has seen or heard of on a WING?? 1000, 1100, 1200, 1500, 1800 ???
Not trying to bust your chops but don't kill this man's thread by asking another question. Great question! But start your own thread... :cooler:

Ross Man wrote:
I'm leaning toward the 96. However, I just found an 89 w/ 36k miles for about the same price. Should I give it a look before I jump on the 96? Or would I be better off w/ a newer bike w/ more miles?
Without seeing them, all being equal (condition/add ons) I would go for the newer bike with higher miles.
In reality, the negative of the older bike is probably offset by the positive of the low miles making it a wash. But even with the lower miles an older bike may be harder to sell for a good price should the need arise.

And even with the low miles, a '89 @ $5k is over priced.

Good luck! :action:
JB

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.