Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 1986 SEi that I bought from my brother who bought it new in 1986. The bike has been sitting for just over 3 years. It ran great when It was stored. When I got it out on the road the SEi ran rough at firstbut I got it cleared up,then when I took it out to the highway at high speeds (60+), as soon as I go into 5th (OD) gear it is rough and has a clanking sound sort of like going up hill with a low octane fuel but louder.If I go back to 4th gear it is fine.I just bought new timing belts to install as soon as I get time. Any suggestions ?????

Bro D:(

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

I would try changing the oil first, then remove and clean the trhottle bodies and throttle plates, then synchronize the throttle bodies and see how it runs before you take the trasmission apart.

There is also a vacuum hose that goes to the ECU/MAP sensor and if this hose is leaking or broken the engine will run poorly.

Vic

P.S. I should also mention to put fresh fuel in the gas tank after you get rid of the old stuff.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

GW is right.. Also, change the air, fuel & oil filters... You may also need to run some SeaFoam in the fuel for a whil to clean the lines. It sounds a lot like fuel starvation in high gear, so the least expensive thing to do is what's been mentioned. Also, look for loose / corroded connections to the ECU/MAP sensor. Use a 10/40wt oil with some MMO for about 200-300 miles, drain the oil and install another filter... That will tend to clean any varnish from the high gear shaft in the transmission.

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

I woudnt even start the engine again til timing belts are changed as well as ALL the fluids (even brake and clutch) Drain fuel system. Those injectors were touchy about dirty throttle plates, even some gum on a throttle plate made them run poorly.

·
Premium Member
1,865 Posts
imported post

I may be way off base, but........check the universal on your drive shaft, It may be starting to wear. I had exactly the same thing happen, and the clang was most evident when you achieved a neutral inertia in 5th gear when I first noticed this noise. 1 through 4 were fine at first, but it eventually spread through all the gears. It was hard to distinguish exactly where it was coming from and I pushed hard for 3 X18-20hrs days to get home. I figured it was tranny or motor, fortunately I was wrong. It never even entered my mind it would be the drive shaft.

Kyle

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Vic,

Yes, this is my first Goldwing. When I went into 5th gear I was doing about 60 MPH. I thought this should have been fast enough to use 5th.

This week, I changed the timing belts,gas, gas filter, oil and filter, air filter, sprayed an entire can of carb cleaner through the throtle plates, flushed and changed the anti-freeze. It still makes a clunking noise in 5th gear. It is not as bad as before but it is still very much there. I do not have a way to sync. the throtle plates though. And I cannot find any place that sells Sea-Foam. Now What? I thought about a Brand New bike but not at the price of a new car LOL.

Bro D

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
imported post

You might find the topic "GL1200 starvingfor fuel???" Currrently on page 8 of thes forum helpful. This sounds similar to the problem that I was experiencing.The problem on mine was a vapourlock around the intake in the fuel tank. Cleared by a siphon rubber in the tank and a good blow.

Andrew

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Vic,

Yes, this is my first Goldwing. When I went into 5th gear I was doing about 60 MPH. I thought this should have been fast enough to use 5th.

This week, I changed the timing belts,gas, gas filter, oil and filter, air filter, sprayed an entire can of carb cleaner through the throtle plates, flushed and changed the anti-freeze. It still makes a clunking noise in 5th gear. It is not as bad as before but it is still very much there. I do not have a way to sync. the throtle plates though. And I cannot find any place that sells Sea-Foam. Now What? I thought about a Brand New bike but not at the price of a new car LOL.

Bro D

...................................................................................................................................

Definately fast enough for 5th gear Bro D.

Any chance you could give more detail on the clunking in 5th gear? Is it just when you shift or does it happen continuously or what?

You can purchase a Motion Pro carb synchonizer here http://www.motionpro.com/Docs/servicetools.html

or check athttp://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Search?sku=carb+synchronizer&storeId=10101&catalogId=10101&searchbtn.x=18&searchbtn.y=6 for a cheaper one.

Vic

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The SEI should have no problem pulling 5th gear from 35mph. Does the noise quit if you let up on the throttle? Since it runs okay in the first four gears it looks like a mechanical problem to me. I'd be suspicious of the driveline and transmission.Put the bike's front wheel up against a stout wall with the bike on the center stand, start it up and shiftinto 5th. Run it up a bit, if the back wheel is reasonably balanced there shouldn't be much vibration, and see if you can hear the noise. You might also pull the spark plugs and pull the wheel through by hand to see if you can feel anything or hear any unusual sounds.

Check out Kyle's suggestion, the driveline is the easiest to look at. I think it's more likely to be in the transmission. You could drain your oil and filter it through cloth or a coffee filter to see if there are any metal particles in the oil. Cutting the oil filter open and looking at the outer layer of filter media might also give a check on metal. I hope I'm wrong.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
imported post

i think i'm gettin' close to solving the mystery 5th gear noise. there is a green/orange wire that goes from the shift sensor coupler indicating overdrive to the ignition control unit that runs the vacuum advance. that noise must be coming from that unit. try disconnecting the vacuum advance and plugging both hose and receptacle at ignition control unit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.