Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Senior Guru
4,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here have a 650 Burgman? Seems like a complicated CVT set-up. I wonder if anyone has a ton of miles on one, w/o troubles. :)

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
fellow who I used to ride with had one. He put on the most miles of anyone in the group. He rode that thing all over north America and loved it. He would clip along at 70 mph in group rides no problem. He very rarely stopped for fuel like the rest of us. Only problem he had was he went thro a lot of tires in a season LOL
Wilf

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,276 Posts
One guy had one on the Memorial ride. He had no problem keeping up and appeared quite comfortable. He said he loves it.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
My 650 is great!

I have a 2005 Burgman 650 in addition to my 1500. I have about 20,000 miles on the scooter and have had no trouble. I ride it at times when out with my Goldwing friends and have no trouble keeping up. In fact, I have to slow down in town at traffic lights as it takes them longer to speed up due to their shifting. The Burgman is a nice ride. I do miss the GW features when on the Burgman such as cruise control.
Bob

·
Senior Guru
4,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This one we are looking at is in excellent shape, and well below book. So, we'll see In cpl. days. I looked at a couple parts shots of that CVT, and it looks pretty troublesome=a lot of moving parts, including some (choke) plastic gears. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
I've had no experience with the Burgman, but my wife and I on two European trips had experiences on the Honda Silverwing in Switzerland, and on something called the Honda Integra in Italy....... The Silverwing was 600 cc and the Integra 700 cc.....both top ends were in the hundred miles per hour plus range and carried both my wife and I with ease..... we enjoyed them; and I someday plan on entering the Super-Scoot ranks. The Integra handled Stelvio Pass with ease..... can't say on the longevity of any scoot, but I'd bet that the scoots will last as long as regular motorcycles with proper care.

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
A few forum members here have 650 Burgmans. They seem to be popular with Goldwingers as a second bike.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
We put sidecars on them with no worries. They still clip along at 70mph with ease. We also have done Silverwing scooters that work ok but prefer the Burgman's frame to attach to and the transmission options of automatic or manual automatic are nice.:claps:

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
DrifterTex down in Corpus Christi has a Burgman and loves it. He has a friend that rides with us a lot who bought one too... I have ridden that one and I have to admit they ARE addictive.

T

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
My buddy has one and loves it. I've taken it for a couple of rides. Its smooth, has great acceleration, and is fast. I was definetly impressed! They've been making them for a while, so I m sure the cvt is not something to worry about. His has 45000 and runs great!

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
I've owned both the 650 and 400 and both are reliable and well built bikes. I've taken both on long tours at 2500/3000 miles. Neither bike ever had issues and only needed regular maintenance. I presently ride with several Burgman 650 owners from Dallas that have nearly 100,000 miles. They are now having problems as that may be the longevity of these Maxi Scooters as one rider replaced theirs with another 650.

·
Senior Guru
4,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the replies. Still thinking. I myself don't really feel good sitting on it, but it fits the wife ok. But, she's not totally positive she wants to do this. It has a great price, tho. 3500.00.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Regarding passenger comfort on the Burgman 650; my wife complained about it. That's why I bought a Goldwing. The wide body at the rear spread her hips too much and she'd get all stoved up and would hobble around after a ride. I found the ride comfortable though for solo use and could easily ride it long distances. I took the butt stop and converted to a back rest and used an Alaska Sheepskin seat cover. Some like the Corbin aftermarket seat replacement too.

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
Both myself and wingnut have the 650 burgman ,great little bike ,accelleration from traffic lights will beat most sports bikes .make sure you keep the safety switch on the MAIN stand well lubricated ,if it gets stuck in ir goes faulty ,the bike will stay in first gear ,happened to me ,i thoughtbthe cvt was gone :)
You will love the comfort on it ,,

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
I'm on my second Burgman 650. I've never had any problems with them and find them ideal for city commuting and longer distance runs. They are the heaviest of the large scooters, but easy to handle. They have the larges wheels of any large scooter, which probably helps stability.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
I have some medical issues, and am concerned about being able to hold up my Goldwing sometimes, especially in parking lot maneuvers. I thought about switching to a maxi scooter. I tried them all. For me, the Goldwing is just as easy to hold up as the scooters, if not easier. The problem with the maxi scooters is the width of the floorboards. On the Goldwing (now that I have gotten rid of the floorboards) I can put my feet straight down beside the bike. On some of the scooters (especially the Yamaha Majesty) the floorboards stuck out so far that I could not get both feet flat on the ground, and it felt like it was going to tip over. All of them just had a very awkward clumsy feeling compared to the Goldwing. I have some small scooters (Vino 125, Zuma 125, Stella 150) and they are fine. The big maxi scooters seem too big for their engine displacement. The Suzuki S40 (single cylinder 650cc cruiser) is tiny, not much bigger than a Honda Rebel. The Burgman 650 is HUGE and HEAVY, and didn't seem nearly as well balanced as the 'Wing. So I decided not to get one, and will put a Voyager kit on a Goldwing if I feel the need.

Also, before buying any maxi scooter, check the valve adjustment interval, and see what is involved in doing the valves. According to information on the Majesty site, the engine has to come out to do it. $600 at a dealer. But only needed every 25,000 miles. I almost bought a Honda PCX150, until I found out it has a 2500 mile valve adjustment interval, and it takes 3 hours to do, since you have to remove and replace most of the bodywork. My Vino and Zuma take about 5 min to check, 15 min to adjust.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
I've ridden both and have a Silverwing. The
Burgman is good but they have had some problems with the tricky CVT system. The Burgman 400 has a simpler rubber belt type CVT as the Silverwing does. These are usually trouble free for 15000-20000 miles when they need replacement. The 650 is heavier and wider than the Silverwing, performance is pretty much the same. Both seem to exceed 100,000 miles with normal replacement of consumables. Both the 650 and SW can cruise at freeway speeds all day without breaking a sweat.
Both can be found in good shape around $3500 with the SW tending to be a bit cheaper. I don't know about the Burgman but think it has as robust electrical system as the Silverwing which has a 450W stator. Plenty of power to handle accessories and Gerbings electric clothing if needed.
The white one at the local Honda dealer looks pretty good, I came close to buying it when they got it but decided to go for another Silverwing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am on my second Burgman 650. I have been riding for fifty years. BMW, Goldwings, Harley, etc. I found a 2005 Burgy in Key West with 10k to test it out. I immediately realized that it was a serious machine. The power and tranny combinations give you multiple riding experiences. I found a 2010 Executive in Sarasota with 1000 miles on it and snapped it up. Sold the 2005 in one day. I will tell you that I am consistently amazed at the performance of this machine. I cruise around the island in auto, I switch to manual sometimes to get that motorcycle feel andthen switch to power mode for some real acceleration. I cruise the Keys at 55-60 at about 58 mpg. Top speed so far is 135. This bike does it all. It's a scooter around town, it will match any sport bike or hog out the gate and I get that ride around the world feeling every time I hit the open road. The first and oldest maxi scooter of the bunch and the performance is unmatched.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
I have a 2009 Yamaha Majesty 400cc. Seventy mph with two-up is no problem. Somehow, Americans have been brainwashed into thinking that anything under 400 cubic inches cannot be taken out of town.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.