of this great web site that he runs and funds all by himself :clapper:

because of his great love for the Honda Goldwing. :clapper:

Congratswingnut. :clapper:long may it last. :clapper:

:weightlifter::18red::weightlifter:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

:clapper::clapper:Hey Steve, just like to extend my thanks again and my gratitude for:clapper::clapper:

:clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper:this GREAT WEBSITE! A tip of the hat to our Proprietor!:clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper:

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
imported post

Thanks Steve, this is a great site. Very helpful and also humorous at times.

·
Premium Member
9,409 Posts
imported post

Congrats and a HUGE THANK YOU:clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper:

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
imported post

I've said this before and I'll say it again. Thanks to wingnut for providing such a great place to visit and thanks to wexman for keeping it that way.

i think Honda should have these guys on a retainer.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

Thanks Steve for a WORLD CLASS Goldwing site!!!:clapper:

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

Thanks Steve for "The Greatest GoldWing Site On The Internet" and hopefully many more years!!!!!!!:clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::waving::waving::waving::weightlifter::weightlifter::skipping::skipping::skipping::cooler::cooler::3sum::3sum::banana::banana::band:

Gene:waving::11red::11red::11red::11red::cooler::littleangel:

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
imported post

:action:Happy Anniversary Wingnut (Steve). I have enjoyed using your site. I look forward to the continued use of it, as it is the best dedicated site to Honda's best bike, the Goldwing.

Thanks again, and keep up the tremendous good work.:waving:

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
imported post

STEVE YOU ARE THE MAN.THANKS FOR ALL THE HARD WORK YOU PUT INTO YOUR SITE

HOSS1200

:clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper:

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
imported post

Steve,

Like everyone else has said. Thanks a million for the best Goldwing site on the net. :clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper:

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
imported post

same from me and big thankyou

rgds

Phil

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Thanks "Steve"!!!:clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper:

Couldn't live without it !:band:

Let us know if there's a way to contibute $ to your efforts?!

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
imported post

wingdawg101 wrote:
Thanks "Steve"!!!:clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper:

Couldn't live without it !:band:

Let us know if there's a way to contibute $ to your efforts?!
I second/thrid and fourth all the above!

Fantastic site, great people. If you ever need fundage, please tell me where to send it!

:weightlifter::jumper::11black::cooler::3sum::band::toast::birthday::bananas::banana:

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Thanks Steve.. All the best... Renegade.

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

Hey Steve:waving:Thanks a lot.

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
imported post

Thanks for the reminder Redwing, it had actually slipped my mind. Six years already, time does fly when you are having fun.

Thanks to everyone for the nice comments, I'll have a big head from all this but don't let that stop you as my helmet is too big anway and it can take a bit more filling.

I suppose I should explain how this all came about, for those who don't already know;

What turned out to be a hobby site back in 1999 hasto my surprisebecome very well known all over the world. I originally set up and developed the "Steve Saunders Goldwing Page"homepage to sharemy meagrebit of knowledge with other Goldwing owners, back in 1999 there was a scarcity of enthusiast homepages and sites and most of the Goldwing sites were commercial ones, or had links with clubs and other organisations. I wanted to keep my homepage independent so that I didn't have to answer to anyone, no support came from any organisations or clubs at the time. Thanks to Mike Roop from the USA (you all know Mike) who gave me words of encouragement and advicefrom across the pond before I started this. A few friends who were more internet savvy than me also helped me through the usual obstacles.

Before I set up the forum (the old one that ran from late 2003 until I set this one upa year back)I was already getting e-mails from everywhere and that's what made me keepthe homepagegoing. I took a bit of pride in using content that was not poached from other sites and I think this is what kept the visitors coming back. People won't keep visiting web sites that just copy stuff from other sites, the content is what draws new visitors every day.
An example of this is the "Goldwing History" page. I spent about a week writing this up a couple of years ago and I wrote it in my own style. I'm no expert writer, but this article was a big hit and I have been asked permission to reproduce it many times. I still update it each year or when new info or corrections come my way.

The addition of the Message Board was something I had thought about, but a couple of things held me back. The fact that it was initially beyond my meagre computer skills was one limiting factor and also I was a bit worried that it mightn't get any visitors. A forum that looks like a ghost town is of no use to anyone. These concerns probablyheld me back a year before I set up the first forum (tree-style forum). At that stage I was getting as many as 50 e-mails a week looking for tech advice (some of which I could answer and some I couldn't) and I just couldn't cope with the back and forth communicating that this usually entailed, so this really spurred me on to setting up a forum as a matter of urgency. When the original Dream Tools suppliers announced they were going out of business (they did giveme six months notice) it was a real blow as we had accumulated about 4000 posts in the six months it was running. I really hate losing valuable information in posts and it really peed me off that I would be unable to transfer the 4000 posts onto the new board.
That's why I decided to buy the next (this) forum instead of leasing. It took me a while to find the forum typeI liked, but the WOW forum staff were very helpful and they set it up for me to play with before I was obliged to buy it, and they continued to help me learn the software. Being the type of person I am, I didn't want to use the same style as everyone else (I think us Irish just hate falling into line) and the unique features of the modern php type WOW forum and the very helpful staff swayed me to this. I decided to buy my own domain name at the same time and that's when the old link of http://homepage.eircom.net/~wingnut became http://www.goldwingfacts.com.

It turned out to be a good move, I reckon that about 95% of the old forum members migrated across to here and in no time we were up and running again. We currently get between 200 & 300 posts per day and the visitor stats jump month by month, I'll post the stats when I get time. Being more interested in the mechanics of Goldwings has seen me give prominence to the tech forum and I was very happy that we attracted quite a few people of what I would consider very knowledgable people regarding Goldwings. The current database of information is of great help, particularly to owners of the older Wings. I hope to be able to keep this resource going for as long as I'm around.

About funding, it's not a major drain on my wallet. I think it costs a few hundred Euro a year to run the whole site and forum, well worth it for all the nice people I meet and the knowledge that comes my way.
I had a PayPal link on the front page for about a year or so, but I only had about six people that actually donated a total of I think $120, thanks to those who did donate. Paypal started "losing" the funds, the last donation was $50 from someone here in Ireland and it was never credited to my PayPal account. When I checked it out I got a "invalid transaction number" message, in spite of me having a copy of the confirmation e-mail that PayPal sent to the man who donated the $50! I eventually got someone from PayPal UK to talk to and he more or less told me that these things happen more often than he would likebut there was nothing he could do about it. Since then I've read hundreds of complaints about PayPal and it looks like they are at the wrong end of several class action lawsuits at the moment. As far as I'm concerned, PayPal are either dishonest or just plain incompetentand I have the documentation from my "lost" $50 that PayPaldivertedfrom my account to prove it. I won't be dealing with them again.
If I find a better way to accept donations I'll use it, but I won't be losing any sleep over it in the meantime. This was never a moneymaking excercise and never will be, that is why I don't accept advertising or partake in affiliate programes even though I get asked all the time. Many commercial motorcycle organisations that wouldn't give me the small courtesy of linking to my homepage back in 1999 are now keen to get me involved in affiliate programs, but I just send them a copy of their original e-mail refusing me a link (I kept them all as reminders of who not to buy stuff from) and that's the last I hear from them. Taking part in these things would indeed pay the bills and probably make a small profit, but then this place would lose it's independence and I'm sure the forum members don't want that any more than I do.

Before I go wandering all over the place, I'll just say thanks to all those who daily make the forum an interesting, educational and fun place to visit. Thanks to allour residentGurus (Vic and Paul in particular) for their time spent helping people with tech problems, to Redwing for welcoming the new members and to wexman for spending more hours than I possibly could moderating the whole thing and keeping spammers out. I'll reiterate that this place is for Goldwing fans everywhere in the world.

I hope we can do all this in another six years time. In the meantime, ride safe.

:waving:Go raibh maith agat ás bhur dtacaíocht agus cúnamh. :waving:

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

Yes indeed, thanks a million Steve for this great place. I too hope we will be posting about this again in years to come.
Can any of the Irish guys translate Steves parting line in the last post?

[align=center]Happy Birthday to Steve Goldwing Page! :birthday:[/align]

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
imported post

Only found this fine resource in recent times, I wish I had found it sooner. :clapper::clapper::clapper:

Many thanks from a grateful friend Steve. If I see you at the UK Trefen I will gladly donate some cash to help cut down the running costs. Most of the UK guys should be doing the same as I know that this is the first stop for many of tehm looking for info.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.