Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I finally got my GL to 70,000 miles. Purrs like a.....Lion(?). I've had it about five years now, got it at 50k. The first couple years I rode the heck out of it, but got frustrated by the gas prices.....and now work is so busy (6-7 days per week) I'm lucky if I ride it 2-3 times per month.

It's a great ol' Goldiwng....never rebuilt, just cared for well. I did rewire it from scratch when I bought it and put a new starter in about6 months ago. That's about it.

....just goes and goes!!....forgot, put in new timing belts and radiator hoses when I bought it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

Good deal!!! I got my 78 about the same time. She had 94,000 and is now about 160,000. But this is her last season. I am retiring the frame due to rot and the engine to to general tiredness this winter. The touring package will be moved over to my Black Street fighter while I build a new in town hotrod.

I wish you many thousands more troublefree miles!!

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

There's a LOT of GL1000s out there going strong.

They are economical transportation and if you get a good one & take care of it......it may last forever.

If you ever doubt its value, look up a good one on eBay. I really don't think I could afford to sell my bikes.....they save me too much in gas.....much less replace them.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

77GL1 wrote:
The first couple years I rode the heck out of it, but got frustrated by the gas prices.....and now work is so busy (6-7 days per week) I'm lucky if I ride it 2-3 times per month.
So if the GL1000 was too much for the gas prices, what did you ride or drive to do better?

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
imported post

i was out yesterday and put in 110 miles on a half tank.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Rudy wrote:
So if the GL1000 was too much for the gas prices, what did you ride or drive to do better?
Nothing, I just work and save my cash. I ride a bit for work but almost no luxury riding anymore.

...lately the gas prices have gone down, but I'm still saving 80% of my earnings for a sloop on the west coast.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.