Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

hey a guy around here has a 74 honda cycle, i bought a car from him last year he keeps his stuff in VERY good shape :) well i was lookin at this motorcycle cuz i have been wantin one for some time now, he says it has a 3.0L V6 hes an old man (80 somthin im geussin) so i was woundring if this is accurate? i dont feel right asking him if i can look at the book cuz thats like calling him a lier he told me the bike is a "1974 Honda Twin" i have no idea what he means by twin eather lol im kinda new to this... thanks for any help :)

also anyone got pics of a bike like this? how do they look? thanks

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the Friendliest GOLDWING forum on the net. Hondas largest cycle in 1974 was the C.B.750-K4. This was a 750cc (45 cubic inch) four cylinder engine.

If the bike is a twin, it could be a 360cc, or even a 500cc. But to this day I know of "NO", 3,000 cc twin cylinder Honda motor ever shoe-horned into a two wheeled frame.

Good Luck... :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
imported post

he's getting that bike confused with a car. Sounds like you may be able to strike a bargain for that bike if he doesn't know much about it. Get the model, do some research (look for "forums Honda ___") on the net and go from there.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

Hey Kenny, why not take a picture of the bike and post it here for us to ID?

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

hey yall , i dont have pics yet, he wants 800 bucks for it... i may go check it out some time, my dad also has a old 500 in the garage hes thinking about giving me so im gonna see if i can get that first.... any advice on what to look for or advice for riding? im 17 and dont have a motorcycle liscenss yet... what all is invalved when taking the test? thanks guys :)

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

kenny

if you live in the states look up the motorcycle saftey foundation and take their course. it is the best way to learn how to ride safely

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

hi kenny13z3:waving:

Can you complete your profile and fill in where you are in the world ,this is an international site and if we know where you are we can advise you ..cheers:waving: Ciaran

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Why not make the location a mandatory part of registering for this site? Makes sense.....

Raymond

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

sorry about that i live in southren michigan, usa. ill go fix my profile now... also i read some topics about crashes and stuff and now it kinda worryes me lol i live in a very small town though so it should be ok... i hope.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

also is it a law u need a motorcycle licenss in michigan? my dad never had to take the test,ide like to all the same but i was woundring if i HAD to? thanks

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

I think all states now require a liscence which is where the motorcycle safety foundation course REALLY helps... yes, many of us old goats were "grandfathered" is because we had been riding before the liscnce was mandatory (hasn't helped my spelling skills though). Many insurance companies offer a discount if you take and pass the course

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

I'm wondering if the old guy has the year wrong and he's got the "6 Cylinder CBX" and is calling it a "V-6" ? If that's the case you better grab it because they are worth alot of money and are fast becoming a collecters item , plus it's one wild bike, an inline 6 !

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

will it say CBX or somthing to identifi its what it is? thanks

oh hey what do u guys think of a500 suzuki im geussing its a 80's? (no not the crotch rocket kind) i might beable to get it free off my dad, just woundring if there good bikes and if u know some common probs they got? thanks

oh and thought ide share, i just had a dream about riding a motorcycle lol :D

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

Don't just take the motorcycle test, take a motorcycle safety class! They say that 90 percent of motorcycle deaths involve riders who never took a motorcycle safety class. By far, most of those deaths involve young people, like you. You can die very quickly on a motorcycle - the class teaches you how to avoid that.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

you might check with a local motorcycle dealer to see if they know when and where a motorcycle saftey foundation course is... I think the course runs in the 100-200 range, my daughter just took (and passed) one here in Tulsa

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

ok ty :) anyone got any info on the suzuki 500? i looked up after market stuff and i cant find a 500? this one says 500 right on the side of it tho? any help would be aprichiated, also ide like to get a saddle bag to hold stuff like water,oil,ect. do they make them for this bike?

and a dumb question.... is it hard to ride when u first start? ivedrove bicicles,4wheelers,cars,boats,gokarts ect.. but never a motorcycle..

and my dad wanted to me ask this.. his bike hes getting out soon (honda 750) has been sitting for darn near 20 years, it turns over but we dont dare start it up, what all do we need to do befor fireing it up? change oil,flush/change coolent, drain all the old gas,sparkplugs/wires, make sure exaust is clear,am i missing anything? thanks a bunch :) i love this place lol

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

Is it hard to start riding? Yes and no...

It's not hard to start riding, but it is really hard to get good enough to be safe at riding. Take an MSF course, unless you want to be a hood ornament.

If the bike has been sitting for 20 years, It's going to need the following:

Pull off the carbs, dissasemble, and soak in Berrymans for a week. Pull all the rubber / plastic parts out first!

Replace the gas lines, and filters, check the gas tank for rust.

Replace the oil, and drop about a teaspoon of oil into each cylinder before cranking it over.

There shouldn't be a cooling system on a CB750...

Before riding a bike that has been sitting for 20 years, REPLACE THE TIRES, AND CHAIN!!!

The tires may have tread, but 20 years of sitting will have rotted them to an unsafe condition, and they will blow out on you.

Also, after you have everything ready to go, pull all the plug wires off, and crank the bike for 5-10 seconds, until the oil preasure light turns off. This will force the oil into all the little places that it needs to be, and will prevent damage.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Hey Bro,

If it's a "CBX" you'll know by the very wide engine and 6 exhaust pipes in a row coming out of the front of the engine !

Basic rider coarse in Nevada is $100 and you take your paper work to the DMV and they give you your lic.

At least half the class has never been on a bike before so don't feel bad !

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.