Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The other day I was telling a fellow co-worker about the Single Carb Conversion I was doing. (He looked at me as if I was an idiot)He told me that the Original 4s were the best option. (HIS OPINION) I told him that the slides for my carb were hard to obtain. He stated that the 75-79 slides were all the same! I told him not so, due to the EPA forcing the bike companies to lean out the carbs for emissions reasons.(IMO) I dont recall if they are interchangeable, But if one does that, isnt it impossible to get the carbs to run correctly??:?
Thanks.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
The mixture is controlled by jets including the needle jet which goes in the slide but is not part of the slide so your friend may well be correct.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
carb slides

I have never had much luck replacing slides. They never seem to operate as smoothly or would bind in the carb bore.

Rayjoe

·
Average Goldwing Rider
1,064 Posts
The slides on my '72 CB450K5 are the same as the 75-79 GL1000. Between the 450 and 1000, the needles, jets and venturi sizes are different. The caps and pistons are easily damaged. I had three sets of carburetors to go through to pick the best parts for the 450.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but there is a reason Honda settled in on individual carburetors and exhaust for most of their bikes. They didn't do this because it was cheaper. After rebuilding my first Keihin carb in 1970 I pretty much have them figured out. When you get the dialed in they are hard to beat.

The EPA implemented motorcycle exhaust emission regulations in 1978. I believe this was the first set of regulations and they became more restrictive as time went on.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My slides also never acted smoothly in the bores either. I never wanted to use any abrasives on them due to their super tight tolerances, so after busting a couple of those slides, I figured the Single Carb was the way to go!
After talking to my cousin, he is willing to give me a hand setting up the single carb. He works at the Metro Bus Garage. So, hopefully all works out!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will find out soon. I just ran out of intelligence to go the last mile. Getting help from my cousin after the Holiday season. (fingers crossed)
Merry Christmas/ Happy Holidays... your choice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts