Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

well I have a 75 gl1000 and I just rebuilt the carbs using 4 very nice complete kits. I tore them down all the way and sprayed carb cleaner through every passage way many times and then blew them out with 120psi compressed air. every internal part was replaced except for the floats and float pins themselves. I then adjusted the valves to exactly .004 and set the timing (dyna S)with a timing light and got it right on the fire mark for both sides. then synced the carbs to where all 4 were perfect. my problem is that at anything less than 1100rpm the bike just doesnt sound smooth and if I set the idle mixture screws to 1 3/8 as the book tells me it really runs crumby and one cylinder (left rear)actually drops off. three carbs seem to like it at about 2 - 2 1/4 turns out and the other at about 3 turns out! the bike runs great going down the road and has great power. it doesnt smoke unless I leave it on the side stand all night and then its just a small puff out the left side pipe for a minute or so which seems normal. any ideas what I could be doing wrong here? the carbs are spotless inside and I was very thorough. all the jet values were exactly the same as the originals and they were expensive japanese made kits. I also changed the intake manifold o rings. and which way is richer on the mixture screws. in or out?? just curious.. and does anyone actually use the o rings that come in these kits that are suposed to go under the carb tops in place of the white nylon flat cap seals? I can ride the bike now and have the idle set at about 1100 - 1200 but if I turn it down to about 900 or even 1000rpm it seems to die when coasting to a stop and just isnt smooth like it should be. I havent done a compression test and at this point I'm almost afraid too(had the motor out twice already for clutch and water pump issues) but it feels very equal and tight with the kick starter. any ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

First turning the screws out will richen the mixture. If 1 is way out of adjustment to run right, that carb probably isn't clean enough. Did you check and reset the points? After doing that set all your carbs evenly, overdose the fresh fuel you have already filled the tank with seafoam, and go for a 100 mile ride. Do alot of highway and around town, and burn that tank of treated gas completely up. Then you should check the carb sync. and try your adjustments again.That's what I would do. Good luck your almost there.,,

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

I feel for you.

If it's any consolation I had my carbs off about half a dozen times before I finally had the idle passages cleaned out. The problem on my carbs was at the four holes right at the bottom of the venturi where the throttle plate closes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.