Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi Folks,

This is my first post here.

I'm a first time Wing owner having just bought a 1975 GL1000 non runner as a project.

The Motor and gearbox have been rebuilt and have been refitted to the frame.
I also have the wiring nearly repaired and you wouldn't believe the state this was in from previous botching. I'm amazed the bike didn't catch fire!

Anyway, for the moment I need to know which cylinder is which.
Before the motor was dropped the plugs were connected as follows

1 = Right rear
2 = Left rear
3 = Right front
4 = Left front

Is this correct?
Bearing in mind the botched wiring I have no confidence that this is the correct firing sequence.

Also, the 8-way block connector between the Reg/Rectifier unit and main loom is toasted (literally). Are these original multiblock connectors still available and if so from where?

Thanks all,
Martin
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,153 Posts
imported post

Hi Martin and welcome to the forum. We had this subject brought up only a couple of days back. If you did a search on "firing order", this is what you'd get;

From the front of the bike, sitting on it;

Right side, 1 & 3.
Left, 2 & 4.
 

·
Postpubescent member
Joined
·
36,382 Posts
imported post

Howlin Dawg wrote:
Hi Folks,
This is my first post here.

Also, the 8-way block connector between the Reg/Rectifier unit and main loom is toasted (literally). Are these original multiblock connectors still available and if so from where?

Thanks all,
Martin
:waving::waving:Welcome to the Best Goldwing Site on the Internet, Howling Dawg:waving::waving:

It's probably going to be difficult to find those connectors. You might consider a terminal strip replacement. If you surf the net for connectors you might be able to come up with something that will suffice, it doesn't have to be exactly the same, in fact I'd rewire the bike a little differently and keep the heavy current wires in a separate heavy duty plug and socket to prevent the toasting. You could alway use more than one plug and socket if needed.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks for that.

It looks like mine was wired up backwards then so maybe that's why the PO couldn't get it to run. :?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,381 Posts
imported post

I had the same problem on my '77. Since it needed a new rectifier anyway I got a wiring harness on ebay for ten bucks, then cannibalized the connector and soldered it in place.

My wiring harness was a mess too. I went through it with a fine-tooth comb and pretty much rebuilt most of it. I wrapped a lot of it with convoluted tubing or spiral wrap, replaced worn connectors where needed, and secured a lot of it with waxed string (the type used by aircraft electricians... is also used to secure fabric on fabric covered airplanes). I also replaced the main fuse block (the none behind the battery) with an automotive in-line 30-amp fuse holder.

The 3-wire connectorbetween the alternator and harness can also cause problems (3 yellow wires). Cut the old connector out, solder the wires, and shrink-wrap them.

As for your plug wires... front-right #1, front-left #2, rear-right #3, rear-left #4. (This is while you're sitting on the bike looking down at the engine.) The coil on the right fires 1 and 2, the coil on the left fires 3 and 4.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks Guys, For both the welcome and the advice. :clapper:

The wiring is now complete and all electrical systems are go.

Now it's time to gap the points, set the timing, fill the tank and see if I can't make some noise. :goofygrin:
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top