Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello,

Can anyone tell me if the 75 GL1000 exhaust is one piece? I recentlyreceived a 75 gl1000 in parts and the exhaust is in two pieces. It hasa perfect cut in the middle and I don't know how it goes together. The exhaust number is HM371, the engine number is 1017807, the frame number is 1018026. Every photo I've seen of the exhaust appears to be one piece. The exhaust is in great condition so I would be really dissappointed if it isn't suppose to be cut. I could have it welded though.

Thanks...

Rick

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

Stock is a single piece horseshoe.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

A picture of the piece in question would save a lot of speculation.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Hello, thanks for the replies. I thought that was the case. I knew the 76 gl1000 was one piece, but this is my first 75 and I thought it might have been slightly different. Anyhow, here are some photos of the exhaust. They're usable, they just need welded back together.

Thanks again,

Rick

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

That muffler looks pristine and it's worth saving.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks Ken. I'm struggling with what to do with this bike. I originally got it to restore but I just had surgery recently and have been out of work. No work = no income. I'm seriously looking at selling everything I have for this bike.

atb,
Rick

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,793 Posts
imported post

Not that this means anything at all but for the life of me I can't think of any possible reason for cutting that exaust in half.???

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

Well, since it's cut open....

Post some pics of the interior of it.

The only reason I can think of for a piece in that good of shape being cut open was to modify it somehow. I doubt something broke loose and was floating around in there, so it must've been for a mod.

Wonder what mod?

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,761 Posts
imported post

That is weird. Those mufflers are so rare, I can't imagine anyone intentionally damaging it.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
imported post

If you just want to get rid of that muffler, I'll take it !

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts
imported post

:waving:Hello Rick and Welcome . Sad to say its not supposed to be cut there . I uspsect someone wanted a little more rumble and took out some innards . I got junk set and could have a look inside to see whats supposed to be there and take a photo if you like . Can you post a pic of the inside view on that set ?

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

The previous butcher oops owner couldn't figure out how to remove it so he cut it, rotated the two pieces and off they came.:shock:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.