Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I know the charging system on these bikes are a bit problematic but has anyone ran, say gloves or gloves and a vest? I also know the three wire connector is a weak point. Isa weak charging systema problem with all 1000s? I also have a 82 and 83, are they any better? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

w/o having a 1100 or 1000 i'd have to say it'd be marginal,try posting on a forum that has mostly those riders and you might find more people familiar

on my aspy with heated gloves and jacket liner i had to run a controller on low and then it was still marginal even with all lights having been changed out to leds

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Gloves alone probably wouldn't be too much load on a 1000. It isn't that these bikes have a weak electrical system, it's the fact that the charging system was designed to meet the bike's needs for operation and factory installed equipment. In the past it wasn't common to load up a motorcycle with a lot of extra electrical stuff so to keep down unnecessary weight and complication the electrical systems were designed to handle the basic lighting and ignition along with starter loads. Just like today kids load up small cars with very heavy electrical loads consisting of obnoxious audio systems. The 1100s were a little bit better but still don't have a lot to spare electrically speaking.

The best cure for the three yellow wires from the stator is to cut out the connector and spice the wires directly. If your connector shows any sign of plastic melting or the metal pins show any sign of bluing it would be best to splice it out of the circuit. If the connectors are still in good shape clean them up and pack with some dielectric grease and reconnect.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.