Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

i found this topic some where else around here but lost it ? anyway i bought it it ran , i was moving so it stayed covered up 2 months and now it is locked tight , i am soaking it in penetrating oil and diesel not forcing it ,justtaking my time , anyway there seems to be a lot of topics like this on the web that involve the goldwing boxer four , is this a flaw in the design ? i have onlyhad a couple of motorswith this problem , a couple of days of soaking and a oil change and they fired right up , two weeks later the GL motor is still unresponsive , it looks like i will have to rebuild it ?:?

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

you may have to resort to pulling a head you shouldn't have to build the engine if it ran good before. the most it would be is a headgasket or 2. if it's been 2 weeks soaking you may have to do surgury. but others will chime in. :shock:i guess you've tried rocking it both direction.:shock:

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

it ran great ,it and the carbs were rebuilt at 50 K , that's why i was surprised when just 2 months later it was locked tight .

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

did you see any water in the cylinders could be something other than cylinders stuck.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

the plugs when i took them out were dry , it had fresh antifreeze and oil in it , i didn't see any water in the cylinders ,i tried rocking back and forth and turning the crank with a socket , i am stumped ?

oh the gears and the cluch work ,and the rearend turns .

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

could the starter be stuck and keeping it from turning?

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

i don't think its the starter , cause it clicked and tried to turn .

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

well?? maybe someone else will chime in. have you tried to turn it at the drive shaft you can put a little more leverage back there. so it ran good when you parked it? no water in the clyinders, starters not stuck? maybe a cam stuck? somethings stuck:shock:

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,863 Posts
imported post

In one of the threads a while back, there was a description of how the frozen motor was broke loose with pictures.

The heads were removed, 2 steel bars were cut to go across the cylinders and holes drilled to allow bolts to hold them secure on the cylinders. A hole was cut in the center of the bars. Then before the bars were placed on the cylinders, a large bolt was placed thru the bars head end to the pistons.

Once secure, you have the bars bolted to the cylinders and the bolt sticking thru the bars, thread end out. Then a pulley puller was used to grab the bars and screw down against the bolts. I seem to remember that a large washer was used to increase the surface area pushing on the piston. And old valve, head down on piston would work also.

If you do opposing cylinders you can rock back and forth between each side by tightening one side, and loosing the opposite side.

If you knew exactly which ones were going down simultaneously, you could screw down on both sides at the same time.

Don't over do the pressure, you can punch a hole in the pistons.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

OR a 2X4 and a hammer on each cylinder..tap, tap ,tap and then BAM!! But if it was running and only sitting for a few months something else maybe wrong..not jsut stuck pistons..??

Do you have the kick starter lever, try it? Are you sure it's in neutral, rear wheel spins freely?..plugs out no hydrolock? Any gas in the oil? back off the valves do they all close??? bent valve? hitting piston? Have you looked at the timing belts?

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

I just had a similar problem with my 1100. Went out to start it just a sound like herk, and that was it. Turned out to be the planetary gears in the starter, had stirpped teeth and were jammed in the ring gear. I would take the starter out first because it's easier and cheaper then taking the motor apart, and test it with a battery or battery charger. My starter was working perfect until that day.,,

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imported post

it has no water in the oil , it always had antifreeze in it ,i have the cams and belts exposed , i have looked into the cylinders {plug holes }with a scope , not too much out of the ordinary , it dose have a kick start , i have tried every method to get it to break free , i will check the starter next .

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
imported post

If you haven't done it TODAY...check for hydrolock gas accumulation in the cylinders. pull all 4 plugs and see if
it will turn over.... if your battery is weak, it will act
mechanical and "locked up".

If the float sticks, the cylinders can act "locked up" when they are filled with gas.....you can also seriously dilute the oil if it runs past the rings (over time)

B

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
imported post

If he has the plugs out and diesel and pentrating oil in the cyl it should not be fuel locked. I've only unstuck one Wing and I used brake fluid (which might appall some folks but it can work.) When I was a kid we used diesel and ATF mix.
Usually the cyl I see lock has the valves open so water can get in.
I'd sure check the starter to as locking with a low battery after sitting happens for lots of folks. The on road cure is whack it with a hammer, sometimes you get lucky.
I broke my 77 loose by tapping the kickstarter with a hammer now and again after soaking, not too hard, just a bit of shock.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

i don't think he has a cly stuck he has looked inside with a scope and doesn't see anything in the cly. maybe his starter as some have suggested don't know yet?

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

Pull the starter....

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

:bat:well come on man you can't leave us hanging like this. the suspense is killing me.:shock:

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
imported post

skoto1 wrote:
:bat:well come on man you can't leave us hanging like this. the suspense is killing me.:shock:
well i am getting married today and its raining , but my next free day i am going to take the starter off and if that isn't it , i am going to put it in high gear andtow itat low speed and see if that works , i am not being bested by a little boxer motor .:gunhead:

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

WOW you are one brave SOB..married today and working on the bike tomorrow!!! WOW!!!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.