Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

i found this topic some where else around here but lost it ? anyway i bought it it ran , i was moving so it stayed covered up 2 months and now it is locked tight , i am soaking it in penetrating oil and diesel not forcing it ,justtaking my time , anyway there seems to be a lot of topics like this on the web that involve the goldwing boxer four , is this a flaw in the design ? i have onlyhad a couple of motorswith this problem , a couple of days of soaking and a oil change and they fired right up , two weeks later the GL motor is still unresponsive , it looks like i will have to rebuild it ?:?

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

it ran great ,it and the carbs were rebuilt at 50 K , that's why i was surprised when just 2 months later it was locked tight .

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

the plugs when i took them out were dry , it had fresh antifreeze and oil in it , i didn't see any water in the cylinders ,i tried rocking back and forth and turning the crank with a socket , i am stumped ?

oh the gears and the cluch work ,and the rearend turns .

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

i don't think its the starter , cause it clicked and tried to turn .

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imported post

it has no water in the oil , it always had antifreeze in it ,i have the cams and belts exposed , i have looked into the cylinders {plug holes }with a scope , not too much out of the ordinary , it dose have a kick start , i have tried every method to get it to break free , i will check the starter next .

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
imported post

skoto1 wrote:
:bat:well come on man you can't leave us hanging like this. the suspense is killing me.:shock:
well i am getting married today and its raining , but my next free day i am going to take the starter off and if that isn't it , i am going to put it in high gear andtow itat low speed and see if that works , i am not being bested by a little boxer motor .:gunhead:

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
imported post

lol.. go ahead i have been called sucker as well :D, my wife is a wonderful woman that i have lived withfora good whileand is a fellow motorcycle rider and lover , but never fear , i will be working on the goldwing tomorrow .:action:

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
imported post

Wingle wrote:
I'd pull the four plugs, put the bike in second or third and try rolling it back and forward to see if it loosens the pistons in the bores. It's very unusual for the pistons to lock up like that unless it had no oil in there in the first place. Two strokes are more prone to seizing than four strokes. Usually with the f/strokes there is a greasy friction, the oil doesn't drain away completely and there is a film there between the bore and the piston especially underneath the pistons on the flat fours and sixes.

Congrats to you and the bride have a wonderful life together which reminds me of the day.. no another tale for another day..
the plugs are out andthe cylinders have been soaking in PB blaster and trans fluid , the crankcase has clean oil in it and a new filter, i have tried rocking it back and forthin all gears with the plugs out , i tried turning it at the crank pulley and cams ,alli can do besides pulling the headsare ,taking the starteroff , tapping the kick starter with a hammer ,or roll it in high gear and let the clutch out to get it to break free ..

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
imported post

it rolls , the brakes work , the clutch engages and disengages , i will check the valve clearance and timing .

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
imported post

I have checked everything , the bike rolls , the starter works , the belts are tight and good , all the rocker arms were removed they are not hitting the pistons , all the gears change , the clutch works , it is locked tight , it will not turn a smidge either way with a 2 foot breaker bar on the crank , i think the rings are rusted to the cylinder wall , it will probably take engine removal and disassembly to fix , i am going to take the heads off first and update with pics ...

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
imported post

skoto1 wrote:
moonshiner wrote:
it rolls , the brakes work , the clutch engages and disengages , i will check the valve clearance and timing .
duh!:D sorry i couldn't help it. :shock: i can't believe it's stuck after 2 month either. it must have been rained in it was outside under a tarp.
we had a lot of rain in july and august , yes it got rained in , i took the starter motor off and it works , i can't check the starter clutch and chain without taking the motor off the frame which is next after i take care of some family matters .

thanks

keith

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.