2,048 Posts
imported post

he said free day. which maybe a month from now.:D:cheeky1::D

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
imported post

lol.. go ahead i have been called sucker as well :D, my wife is a wonderful woman that i have lived withfora good whileand is a fellow motorcycle rider and lover , but never fear , i will be working on the goldwing tomorrow .:action:

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
imported post

I'd pull the four plugs, put the bike in second or third and try rolling it back and forward to see if it loosens the pistons in the bores. It's very unusual for the pistons to lock up like that unless it had no oil in there in the first place. Two strokes are more prone to seizing than four strokes. Usually with the f/strokes there is a greasy friction, the oil doesn't drain away completely and there is a film there between the bore and the piston especially underneath the pistons on the flat fours and sixes.

Congrats to you and the bride have a wonderful life together which reminds me of the day.. no another tale for another day..

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
imported post

Wingle wrote:
I'd pull the four plugs, put the bike in second or third and try rolling it back and forward to see if it loosens the pistons in the bores. It's very unusual for the pistons to lock up like that unless it had no oil in there in the first place. Two strokes are more prone to seizing than four strokes. Usually with the f/strokes there is a greasy friction, the oil doesn't drain away completely and there is a film there between the bore and the piston especially underneath the pistons on the flat fours and sixes.

Congrats to you and the bride have a wonderful life together which reminds me of the day.. no another tale for another day..
the plugs are out andthe cylinders have been soaking in PB blaster and trans fluid , the crankcase has clean oil in it and a new filter, i have tried rocking it back and forthin all gears with the plugs out , i tried turning it at the crank pulley and cams ,alli can do besides pulling the headsare ,taking the starteroff , tapping the kick starter with a hammer ,or roll it in high gear and let the clutch out to get it to break free ..

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
imported post

Check and make sure the rear brake isn't frozen to the disk, making you fight the whole drive train, plus the non-turning rear wheel.

And did you look at the timing belts? Check valve clearance? Is it possible the clutch is jammed somehow? Don't see how myself, but then I'm just tossing ideas into the pot, hoping one will turn out to be the golden ticket, ya know?:action:

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
imported post

Is it possible the last time you shut it off it could have slipped a few teeth on the belts and is binding.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
imported post

it rolls , the brakes work , the clutch engages and disengages , i will check the valve clearance and timing .

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

did you check the starter yet?

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
imported post

You Just got married on Saturday...You'd better check the dangle on the hang down!! That's the problem right dare. LOL~ I would be going into the theory timing belts maybe slipped. At Shut off and possibly has a valve is up against a piston top and will not turn any further. Looking at the cams with the valve covers off look for an open valve and back off all the adjustment on it . Figure on readjusting later but the valves do hit the pistons when the timing belt slips breaks. If it happened when you shut it off you may have a bent or broken valve locking up a piston.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
imported post

Big Cahuna wrote:
I just had a similar problem with my 1100. Went out to start it just a sound like herk, and that was it. Turned out to be the planetary gears in the starter, had stirpped teeth and were jammed in the ring gear. I would take the starter out first because it's easier and cheaper then taking the motor apart, and test it with a battery or battery charger. My starter was working perfect until that day.,,
Ditto,on that! Happened to me 45 miles from home,but I was able to push-start the bike and ride home.It was an aftermarket starter,and the OE starter gears wouldn't work in the starter,so I went w/a starter from Rick's out of Dennis Kirk's catalog.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
imported post

I have checked everything , the bike rolls , the starter works , the belts are tight and good , all the rocker arms were removed they are not hitting the pistons , all the gears change , the clutch works , it is locked tight , it will not turn a smidge either way with a 2 foot breaker bar on the crank , i think the rings are rusted to the cylinder wall , it will probably take engine removal and disassembly to fix , i am going to take the heads off first and update with pics ...

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

On your first post you stated that it had been covered-up for only 2months... If that's the case, them rings aint rusted, but I'm assuming the bike was running at the start of the 2 month lay-up, and you've come back to find it locked up, right? I hate assuming as it never works for the better. When was the last time it ran?

Did you ever take the starter off of the bike?

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

If you have the heads off, make a block of wood that fits the bore pretty close and cup out the center of the side that will face the piston top.
Then make the rounds to all the pistons giving them a medium tap with a hammer via the wood block.
Do this several times and oil all around the rings between each cycle.
I'm betting on multiple rusted rings.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,439 Posts
imported post

I agree with CaptainMidnight. Two months isn't enough time to rust an engine enough to lock it up like that.

Does the bike roll alright when out of gear?

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

moonshiner wrote:
it rolls , the brakes work , the clutch engages and disengages , i will check the valve clearance and timing .
duh!:D sorry i couldn't help it. :shock: i can't believe it's stuck after 2 month either. it must have been rained in it was outside under a tarp.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
imported post

thats odd how it would do that. I had my gL1000 outside for the last 5 yrs before I got it and fixed it.only big problem was the tar that was once gas in the gas tank.

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

You shouldn't have tars in the gas tank, they should be on the wheels.,,,

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

slap him again please!:clapper:

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
imported post

skoto1 wrote:
moonshiner wrote:
duh!:D sorry i couldn't help it. :shock: i can't believe it's stuck after 2 month either. it must have been rained in it was outside under a tarp.
we had a lot of rain in july and august , yes it got rained in , i took the starter motor off and it works , i can't check the starter clutch and chain without taking the motor off the frame which is next after i take care of some family matters .

thanks

keith

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

where there's your problem right there. as mythbuster would say. remove the heads and beat it.:clapper::action:

21 - 40 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.