Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Just got my new to me 76 GL1000 tagged and on the road. Road it a few time to town (15 miles round-trip) and it did great. Previously had sat for ?? years.

This mornig I got it out on the highway, and really opened it up for the 1st time. Up to about 45 in 1st gear, about 7K rpm, still below redline. Sounded great, and performed great.

Shifted down, and went back to normal riding.About 2 miles later it developed a significant miss. Very low on power, and felt as if a cylinder would come and go. Mostly go.

Got it to town, and pulled plugs. Front left was oil fouled, but all others looked very good. Cleaned it, and it ran reasonable for about a mile, then started doing it again, though not as severe.

Since I haven't had much run-time, I don't recal exactly what it sounded like before, but it seems to have a faint valve clatter to me. RPM related, and does it out of gear. Not significant, but I recall being amazed at how well it sounded when it 1st started after 20+ years of sitting.

History: sat about 20 years (only has 40K on it). I replaced oil, filter, timing belts, plugs and other non-engine stuff.

Should I start by pulling the valve covers (when it cools down)?

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

Forgot to add, when I cleaned the plug, it had a blue smoke for a while, I assumed from that cylinder not running. Cleared up after a minute or two, and did not notice it when I got back home.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

Oil will pass the rings when the bike sits on side stand for more then a day.. Should clear up in less then a minute. If the bike sat that long, i would say cylinder(s) might have little corrosion inside. I would have took it a little easy at first running to let everything clear up. you can try adding little mmo in your oil.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I had gone about 4 miles beofre I opened it up. It ran clear until I stopped after the mis-firing and cleanning the plugs. I'm thinking the smoke was from the cylinder beginning to fire correctly again, but it either re-fouled the plug, or something else.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

...do a valve adjustment. Takes all of 15 minutes.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
imported post

+1 on the valve adjustment and consider replacing the valve stem seals.
If you do a crankcase flush with Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO) it may free the rings up in their grooves (along with cleaning up the inside of the engine).
Replace 1/2 quart of engine oil with MMO and ride the bike easy for about 100 miles. Then change the oil and filter. I did a second flush after about 3500 miles and the bike is running really well.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

I agree on the valve adjustment, but to me misfiring means carbs 99% of the time. Have you removed and cleaned the carbs? Also after sitting for that long, some of the rubber and plastic parts in the carbs may have deteriorated. See if you have a good spark at all 4 plugs, if so that eliminates the entire ignition system except for timing. A '76 will have points, replace and regap them. If any of the plugs are fouled figure out what it is, oil, or an overly rich mixture. As a last resort, if you don't find the answer elsewhere, do a compression check.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.