Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for someone in Central Fl who could give me a little guidance. I'm a Harley rider trying to help a friend who passed get his Goldwing up for his widow. This is a one owner original survivor. Any help would be appreciated. Contact Slowride at [email protected]

·
Administrator
58,943 Posts
you won't get much help with just an email request, but what you will get here, is continuous interaction until you get the job done, just by returning to this thread and responding to the questions that are asked.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited by Moderator)
Thanks for answering my post. I know it wasn't right but I just wanted to see if anyone out there was interested in the bike or if it is a lost cause.

The bike was put up when owner not sick. He drained the gas tank and radiator and it was covered and under a carport. Unfortunately it got some water damage from a hurricane.

It looks like the wiring got wet and corroded. I got it to turn over and it turns over freely but won't start.

Now I myself got sick and am very limited to what I can do. I put a new battery in it and bought a new starter switch, but haven't been able to do any more work.

The bike is a one owner bike has a full faring with saddlebags and tour pack. Anyone interested in perhaps helping with trying to start it or should I just try to sell it as is. It is a true survivor snf a collectors being one of the first Goldwings. Thanks for your consideration. Slowride67

·
Administrator
58,943 Posts
#1, I edited your post for some Typos and spaced it out a bit for more readability.... now if you would:

Please list the town you are in, Florida covers a lot of territory, even though it looks small on a map.

We have a lot of members here in Florida, one is in San Antonio, FL and he is good with several models of the Goldwings....

OnaWingandaPrayer Mike

Goldwing Model: 94SE 193K miles

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
#1, I edited your post for some Typos and spaced it out a bit for more readability.... now if you would:

Please list the town you are in, Florida covers a lot of territory, even though it looks small on a map.

We have a lot of members here in Florida, one is in San Antonio, FL and he is good with several models of the Goldwings....

OnaWingandaPrayer Mike

Goldwing Model: 94SE 193K miles
I live in Lakeland Fla between Tampa and Orlando

·
Administrator
58,943 Posts
now that we know where you are, you can see that there are folks fairly close that are willing to help.
I suggest you give Mike a ph# so you can talk.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I live in Lakeland Fla between Tampa and Orlando
Mike I am home now and will be for the rest of the evening, give me a call. I see we are only about 45minutes away right down 98. Maybe you could come by and take a look at the bike! Thanks Slowride67

·
Registered
13 Posts
Looking for someone in Central Fl who could give me a little guidance. I'm a Harley rider trying to help a friend who passed get his Goldwing up for his widow. This is a one owner original survivor. Any help would be appreciated. Contact Slowride at [email protected]
You didn't say what year wing it was, but I bought a "1983 Parts Bike" to have around for my 1983. They guy I bought it from had changed the fuel tank because it was rusted out, couldn't get it to run, so he sold it to me for $300.00

First problem I found was the wire from the battery to the points was corroded and not making any contact at the connector. Cleaned that up, filled the tank, still didn't want to start.

Disconnected the fuel line at the "out port" of the fuel pump, cranked it a few times, and after about 30 seconds of cranking, fuel started coming out. Dried Diaphragm. Reconnected the fuel line.

Still didn't want to start.

Decided to pull the drain plugs on all four (4) fuel bowls. Pulled the eletrical connector apart from the first solution above so the plugs don't fire when cranking. (No Boom, Boom for me), then cranked the engine over a few times until I got fuel in the bowls. Put the drain plugs back in, reconnected the electrical connector, wiped down the wet fuel spots, gave it about 10 minutes to completely air dry.

Then cranked it again.

Fired up, Ran rough (but ran) smoked like hell, sounded like crap, but it ran. Don't let it overheat. Run it about 5 minutes, let it cool down, check for leaks, Water, Oil,. Repete process until it starts easier, sooner or later it may smooth out and settle down. NOTE: Don't use unleaded gas. Get the good stuff, or you'll ruin the seals if they aren't already ruined.

As for this bike, it was too far gone to put back together as a rider, but I needed the Exhaust for mine and I now have 2 spare wheels/tires for emergencies.

Good luck. Alan Miller

·
Administrator
25,549 Posts
First problem I found was the wire from the battery to the points was corroded and not making any contact at the connector. Cleaned that up, filled the tank, still didn't want to start.
1100s don't have points.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I hope that your "sickness" is unrelated to Covid-19
wish you the best in getting over that.
No COVID just a little bad back and arthritis in the knee. I can walk with a cane for about 10 feet but no more. Have balance problems too. Waiting for this pandemic to pass so I can get back to physical therapy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for getting back to me. The GW is a 1976 GL1000. You have me some good points to check. Thanks
Please read the correction that Dave pointed out to me. I was referring to the connector on the wire that runs alongside the fuel tank between your firing device (points or pulse generator) and coils. Alan

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
You didn't say what year wing it was, but I bought a "1983 Parts Bike" to have around for my 1983. They guy I bought it from had changed the fuel tank because it was rusted out, couldn't get it to run, so he sold it to me for $300.00

Disconnected the fuel line at the "out port" of the fuel pump, cranked it a few times, and after about 30 seconds of cranking, fuel started coming out. Dried Diaphragm. Reconnected the fuel line.

Still didn't want to start.

Decided to pull the drain plugs on all four (4) fuel bowls. Pulled the eletrical connector apart from the first solution above so the plugs don't fire when cranking. (No Boom, Boom for me), then cranked the engine over a few times until I got fuel in the bowls. Put the drain plugs back in, reconnected the electrical connector, wiped down the wet fuel spots, gave it about 10 minutes to completely air dry.

Then cranked it again.

Fired up, Ran rough (but ran) smoked like hell, sounded like crap, but it ran. Don't let it overheat. Run it about 5 minutes, let it cool down, check for leaks, Water, Oil,. Repete process until it starts easier, sooner or later it may smooth out and settle down. NOTE: Don't use unleaded gas. Get the good stuff, or you'll ruin the seals if they aren't already ruined.

As for this bike, it was too far gone to put back together as a rider, but I needed the Exhaust for mine and I now have 2 spare wheels/tires for emergencies.

Good luck. Alan Miller
the top his heading said it was 76 1000?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts