Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

76' GL1000 - trying to revive - been shut down for over 20yrs. Turns over good , did a lot of the obvious stuff but won't start.

3K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  DaveO430 
#1 ·
Looking for someone in Central Fl who could give me a little guidance. I'm a Harley rider trying to help a friend who passed get his Goldwing up for his widow. This is a one owner original survivor. Any help would be appreciated. Contact Slowride at rddog322@gmail.com

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Thanks for answering my post. I know it wasn't right but I just wanted to see if anyone out there was interested in the bike or if it is a lost cause.

The bike was put up when owner not sick. He drained the gas tank and radiator and it was covered and under a carport. Unfortunately it got some water damage from a hurricane.

It looks like the wiring got wet and corroded. I got it to turn over and it turns over freely but won't start.

Now I myself got sick and am very limited to what I can do. I put a new battery in it and bought a new starter switch, but haven't been able to do any more work.

The bike is a one owner bike has a full faring with saddlebags and tour pack. Anyone interested in perhaps helping with trying to start it or should I just try to sell it as is. It is a true survivor snf a collectors being one of the first Goldwings. Thanks for your consideration. Slowride67

#21 ·
Thanks for answering my post. I know it wasn't right but I just wanted to see if anyone out there was interested in the bike or if it is a lost cause.

The bike was put up when owner not sick. He drained the gas tank and radiator and it was covered and under a carport. Unfortunately it got some water damage from a hurricane.

It looks like the wiring got wet and corroded. I got it to turn over and it turns over freely but won't start.

Now I myself got sick and am very limited to what I can do. I put a new battery in it and bought a new starter switch, but haven't been able to do any more work.

The bike is a one owner bike has a full faring with saddlebags and tour pack. Anyone interested in perhaps helping with trying to start it or should I just try to sell it as is. It is a true survivor snf a collectors being one of the first Goldwings. Thanks for your consideration. Slowride67
I had to go through the same thing when I inherited a 1985 Aspencade that had been stored in a covered shed for over 8 years. Finally, I told myself that if I could make it run and it sounded healthy, I'd work on the rest of it. SO, I opened the air filter cover, vacuumed what looked like 10 years of rat poop, removed the filter. Then I got a small spray bottle with gasoline it it, jumped it to my car battery. I turned the key on and the whole dash lit up...and the radio came on. I misted a little gas into the plenum then started turning the engine over. It didn't make two revs when it started right up. As long as I misted fuel into the plenum it ran perfectly. If I misted faster, the engine ran faster and visa versa.
This turned into a five month project, rebuilding all four carbs, anything that moved, like, brake cylinders, master cylinders, calipers, Clutch cylinders, etc. I also found many wires that had been chewed in two by rats. All you have to do is match the color codes and spice them back together.
When I got it, it had 14,613 miles on it. This was in 2015, I think. Now, it has just over 20,000 miles and looks and rides like a new one.
I hope you find someone who can do something with it.
Be blessed, DT

#5 ·
#1, I edited your post for some Typos and spaced it out a bit for more readability.... now if you would:

Please list the town you are in, Florida covers a lot of territory, even though it looks small on a map.

We have a lot of members here in Florida, one is in San Antonio, FL and he is good with several models of the Goldwings....

OnaWingandaPrayer Mike

Goldwing Model: 94SE 193K miles

#14 ·
Looking for someone in Central Fl who could give me a little guidance. I'm a Harley rider trying to help a friend who passed get his Goldwing up for his widow. This is a one owner original survivor. Any help would be appreciated. Contact Slowride at rddog322@gmail.com
You didn't say what year wing it was, but I bought a "1983 Parts Bike" to have around for my 1983. They guy I bought it from had changed the fuel tank because it was rusted out, couldn't get it to run, so he sold it to me for $300.00

First problem I found was the wire from the battery to the points was corroded and not making any contact at the connector. Cleaned that up, filled the tank, still didn't want to start.

Disconnected the fuel line at the "out port" of the fuel pump, cranked it a few times, and after about 30 seconds of cranking, fuel started coming out. Dried Diaphragm. Reconnected the fuel line.

Still didn't want to start.

Decided to pull the drain plugs on all four (4) fuel bowls. Pulled the eletrical connector apart from the first solution above so the plugs don't fire when cranking. (No Boom, Boom for me), then cranked the engine over a few times until I got fuel in the bowls. Put the drain plugs back in, reconnected the electrical connector, wiped down the wet fuel spots, gave it about 10 minutes to completely air dry.

Then cranked it again.

Fired up, Ran rough (but ran) smoked like hell, sounded like crap, but it ran. Don't let it overheat. Run it about 5 minutes, let it cool down, check for leaks, Water, Oil,. Repete process until it starts easier, sooner or later it may smooth out and settle down. NOTE: Don't use unleaded gas. Get the good stuff, or you'll ruin the seals if they aren't already ruined.

As for this bike, it was too far gone to put back together as a rider, but I needed the Exhaust for mine and I now have 2 spare wheels/tires for emergencies.

Good luck. Alan Miller

#22 ·
Thank you for your reply, I appreciate it. I think I have a major electrical problem or sa small one I can't figure out. I put a new battery in it but the only place I get power is to silinoid but I believe that the owner removed a relay or something down at the silinoid. Possibly a a anti-theft move. I can jump the starter and it turns over good but no start. I get no power to the key switch or starter button. I bought a new starter button and some ground wire etc but haven't been able to get back to it a d might not be able to. Hoping to find someone here in the Lakeland Florida area to possibly help me or be interested in buying it as is. Thanks for your info and I'll keep you posyed.

#23 ·
Thank you for your reply, I appreciate it. I think I have a major electrical problem or sa small one I can't figure out. I put a new battery in it but the only place I get power is to silinoid but I believe that the owner removed a relay or something down at the silinoid. Possibly a a anti-theft move. I can jump the starter and it turns over good but no start. I get no power to the key switch or starter button. I bought a new starter button and some ground wire etc but haven't been able to get back to it a d might not be able to. Hoping to find someone here in the Lakeland Florida area to possibly help me or be interested in buying it as is. Thanks for your info and I'll keep you posted.
Slowride68

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.