Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Thanks for answering my post. I know it wasn't right but I just wanted to see if anyone out there was interested in the bike or if it is a lost cause.

The bike was put up when owner not sick. He drained the gas tank and radiator and it was covered and under a carport. Unfortunately it got some water damage from a hurricane.

It looks like the wiring got wet and corroded. I got it to turn over and it turns over freely but won't start.

Now I myself got sick and am very limited to what I can do. I put a new battery in it and bought a new starter switch, but haven't been able to do any more work.

The bike is a one owner bike has a full faring with saddlebags and tour pack. Anyone interested in perhaps helping with trying to start it or should I just try to sell it as is. It is a true survivor snf a collectors being one of the first Goldwings. Thanks for your consideration. Slowride67
I had to go through the same thing when I inherited a 1985 Aspencade that had been stored in a covered shed for over 8 years. Finally, I told myself that if I could make it run and it sounded healthy, I'd work on the rest of it. SO, I opened the air filter cover, vacuumed what looked like 10 years of rat poop, removed the filter. Then I got a small spray bottle with gasoline it it, jumped it to my car battery. I turned the key on and the whole dash lit up...and the radio came on. I misted a little gas into the plenum then started turning the engine over. It didn't make two revs when it started right up. As long as I misted fuel into the plenum it ran perfectly. If I misted faster, the engine ran faster and visa versa.
This turned into a five month project, rebuilding all four carbs, anything that moved, like, brake cylinders, master cylinders, calipers, Clutch cylinders, etc. I also found many wires that had been chewed in two by rats. All you have to do is match the color codes and spice them back together.
When I got it, it had 14,613 miles on it. This was in 2015, I think. Now, it has just over 20,000 miles and looks and rides like a new one.
I hope you find someone who can do something with it.
Be blessed, DT

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thank you for your reply, I appreciate it. I think I have a major electrical problem or sa small one I can't figure out. I put a new battery in it but the only place I get power is to silinoid but I believe that the owner removed a relay or something down at the silinoid. Possibly a a anti-theft move. I can jump the starter and it turns over good but no start. I get no power to the key switch or starter button. I bought a new starter button and some ground wire etc but haven't been able to get back to it a d might not be able to. Hoping to find someone here in the Lakeland Florida area to possibly help me or be interested in buying it as is. Thanks for your info and I'll keep you posyed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thank you for your reply, I appreciate it. I think I have a major electrical problem or sa small one I can't figure out. I put a new battery in it but the only place I get power is to silinoid but I believe that the owner removed a relay or something down at the silinoid. Possibly a a anti-theft move. I can jump the starter and it turns over good but no start. I get no power to the key switch or starter button. I bought a new starter button and some ground wire etc but haven't been able to get back to it a d might not be able to. Hoping to find someone here in the Lakeland Florida area to possibly help me or be interested in buying it as is. Thanks for your info and I'll keep you posted.
Slowride68

·
Administrator
25,328 Posts
Thank you for your reply, I appreciate it. I think I have a major electrical problem or sa small one I can't figure out. I put a new battery in it but the only place I get power is to silinoid but I believe that the owner removed a relay or something down at the silinoid. Possibly a a anti-theft move. I can jump the starter and it turns over good but no start. I get no power to the key switch or starter button. I bought a new starter button and some ground wire etc but haven't been able to get back to it a d might not be able to. Hoping to find someone here in the Lakeland Florida area to possibly help me or be interested in buying it as is. Thanks for your info and I'll keep you posyed.
There should be a main fuse somewhere on or near the solenoid. There will be a red and a red/white wire attached to it.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts