Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have purchased a 76 goldwing GL1000 mid resto from someone. Put the radiator and such back on, went to fire her up and turns out one of the original coils was done for. Some research showed i could use a dodge neon coil as a cheaper and more accessible option. I went and got a coil, new wires etc. Followed the diagrams found on google and ive now run into 2 issues. First i could get the bike to run but only while holding the start button down. Let go and it would die. 2nd I thought maybe i had swapped 2 wires so i swapped them and BANG! Huge backfire. Im guessing that the wires i swapped just swapped the coils. Facebook pages have suggested i somehow wired them to the starter circuit or the ballast is wired open. I did have a buddy help me at first to discover one coil pack was shot and he had taken it off. There is one green wire that was grounded underneath the original coil pack and i currely dont have it grounded. Could this be the reason the ballast is open? Ive tried to look up diagrams and every one ive seen i havent been able to locate the ballast. Ive only had several backfires, actual fires coming from where the airbox goes, and constant headache trying to get this old girl back on the road. She did run before the previous owner started taking things apart but now putting this puzzle back together is getting to me big time and i just want to ride. Its just hard to know where to go next with little bike experience. And so far everywhere ive called wont work on such an old goldwing. I also have noticed that the coil i got doesnt seem to be set up exactly how the diagrams ive found show them to be(there the plug goes in, the numbers labeled on the coils like the coils are turned 90°) i can post pictures to show exactly what im working with if someone could tell me exactly what pics would help

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
This is what I'm using on mine and the green wire is a ground

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
26,948 Posts
To make it work properly you need to wire in a relay from the battery to the coil using the original power feed to trigger the relay. You also need to put a 1.5 ohm ballast resistor in the wire from the relay to the coil. The green ground wire does absolutely and without fail need to be connected but it's not causing your problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Could you possibly show me some examples of what items i would need? And is there the resistor id need on the original coil pack?

·
Administrator
26,948 Posts
The original resistor on the original coils is only 1/2 ohm if I remember correctly. Go to a parts store and get a 1 1/2 ohm ballast resistor, it looks very much like what you have. Forget the relay for now, it may be fine without it.

·
Administrator
26,948 Posts
okay sweet and how would i wire the resistor? On the power wire or between the coil wires
The resistor goes in the power wire to the coils.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm also attempting to do the neon coil swap on my '77. (the plug wires were turning to goo) It's funny because I'd had the exact same problem the first try. Seemed like all the links to the conversion for '75-'77 that I'd tried to read had all been taken down, but once I'd found the actual power wire she fired right up. (this was without the ballast resistor) in a couple minutes the wires to the points started getting warm and noticed a slight wisp of smoke from the points...so without the resistor this is normal? Had thought I'd be able to use the stock one connected to the stock coils if need be, but from what you're saying I DO need one in line, but with less resistance?

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,744 Posts
the ballast resistor is a must with the Neon coils, they are lower Ohms, and pull more current.

·
Administrator
26,948 Posts
I'm also attempting to do the neon coil swap on my '77. (the plug wires were turning to goo) It's funny because I'd had the exact same problem the first try. Seemed like all the links to the conversion for '75-'77 that I'd tried to read had all been taken down, but once I'd found the actual power wire she fired right up. (this was without the ballast resistor) in a couple minutes the wires to the points started getting warm and noticed a slight wisp of smoke from the points...so without the resistor this is normal? Had thought I'd be able to use the stock one connected to the stock coils if need be, but from what you're saying I DO need one in line, but with less resistance?
Actually more resistance 1.5 is more than .5 .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks bro, appreciate the math lesson...was a little distracted with grandkids when I asked the question. As soon as I'd posted it realized it was exactly the opposite of what I'd said...just happy that sites like this exist where people will take the time to answer newby questions.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts