Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
My supercharged GL1000 now has this very unusual, custom electronic distributor based ignition:

... An engineer at GM (retired) and engineers at Pertronix helped me with various details.
Randall, are you saying this is a one-off of your own design with help from Pertronix?
The distributor mount appears identical to the mount in the attached photo (from my collection of single carburetor conversion pictures).

Attachments

·
It aint rocket science
3,820 Posts
That is unique. Is that an oil line or elec wire coming off adaptor and is the cam drilled and tapped for the intermediate gear?

Attachments

·
Registered
304 Posts
Randall, are you saying this is a one-off of your own design with help from Pertronix?
The distributor mount appears identical to the mount in the attached photo (from my collection of single carburetor conversion pictures).
Too funny. The picture you attached is from my GM friend Ken Sperry's turbo GL1000 drag bike that he campaigned back in the 70's. The same picture is posted in an album on my business Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152673110635276.1073741831.10150135042030276&type=3

I took that "one-off" unit and modernized it with electronic ignition, rev limiter etc. The help from Pertronix was mainly their help in selecting the best one of their standard electronic ignition units to adapt for my purposes and "fit" a distributor they don't normally support.

·
Registered
304 Posts
That is unique. Is that an oil line or elec wire coming off adaptor and is the cam drilled and tapped for the intermediate gear?
Without revealing too much proprietary stuff, the line is a capillary oil supply.

The left cam was modified to drive the unit.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Too funny. The picture you attached is from my GM friend Ken Sperry's turbo GL1000 drag bike that he campaigned back in the 70's. The same picture is posted in an album on my business Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152673110635276.1073741831.10150135042030276&type=3

I took that "one-off" unit and modernized it with electronic ignition, rev limiter etc. The help from Pertronix was mainly their help in selecting the best one of their standard electronic ignition units to adapt for my purposes and "fit" a distributor they don't normally support.
OK, good deal.
I had forgot about that picture and have had it for a while. I must have got it from your older site? It was in a folder that I rarely go into anymore.

I'm going to finish the VFR coil project. In the end I'm certain to see benefit over the GL1100 coils I'm currently running. The "coil-per-cylinder" route has always been interesting to me anyway.

RC Engineering had a right angle drive for the CB's.

I'll fabricate a mount and pick a distributor. I've pretty much settled on the idea of using a Pertronix Flame Thrower meant for the VW crowd. I haven't checked the available curves of their modules, but I'm certain a custom map can be had.

I've been thinking of this single-fire route for a while now but have been spending available time in areas of the charging system.

This is really the only option left, a distributor.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.