Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

could someone please tell me what is the compression range on a 1977 gl1000.I have been trying to find it for an hour.i just bought a wing and think i am in for a long haul here thanks for some help:(

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

Factory new spec is 171. Below 140 or a split of 15psi or more between cylinders is considered rebuild criteria by the book. Many many bikes are on the road outside of those specsand runing fine.

Compression tests are done with all 4 plugs out, a fully charged battery and the throttle wide open.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum! :waving:

I also have a GL1000, bought it in March but still working on it.Here you will findthe solution for any problem on the bike. I knew almost nothing about the Gold Wings when bought it, and now my bike is on the road thanks to thepeople from this forum.
Alex

By the way, if the bike hadn't been ridden for a long time before you bought it, then better ride it for a while before measuring the compression, to let the piston rings to wear in again, this might raise the numbers.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

well i did the compression test the way you all said.i come up with 155 across the board on a cold engine.hope thats acceptable.and thank you alll for the help:cool:

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
imported post

That thing should run good with thoes numbers.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
imported post

If you take the plug out of each cylinder in turn, move the plug wire out of the way, put your thumb over the plug hole, and turn the motor over. the compression should blow past your thumb, but suction should come from the intake, You should smell gas...
document.write('/forums/images/emoticons/smile.gif');

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

well now i need a thumb last i saw it,it was flying over my neighbors house.hope he brings it back.:shock:well i do smell fuel but now i know i need to work on carbs and ignition.of course theres a little rust,well maybe more then a little rust in the tank think that's a factory accessory:baffled:.carbs i don't dare to try to do .not sure what way to go one the carbs .think i sould do a dyna ignition any thoughts on that please let me know thanks alex

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

For folks that do not want to tinker the Dyna is one of the best upgrades that can be done. If you do both the ignition system and coils then your spark strength will increase dramatically.

If your carbs need work chek out Pistol Pete. He charges 365 for a complete job with the best rebuild kits available. He is very experienced and his buisness is built on his customer satisfaction http://www.oldwings.com/services.html

If you decide to go this route I strongly recommend you remove your tank and have it professionally cleaned and sealed. I had one done earlier this year at a local Radiator shop. It cost me 150 but was done with Red Kote and will probably outlast me.

Do not forget to replace the fuel lines and filter and also to flush out the pump to make sure no crud gets into your fresh carbs.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

belts..... did anyone mention CHANGE THE TIMING BELTS!

as you can see, there are some lovers of "Olde-wings" here.... many of us are also on nakedgoldwings.com

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
imported post

Yes, rcmatt007 is absolutely right. If any of timing belts breaks the engine will be in a trouble. When changing them go in the FAQ forum there is acomplete step by step explanation with a lot of pictures. I changed my beltsrecently following this without any problem. I didn't even have tolook at the manual.

Alex

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

oh i am well aware of the belts .what good is doing all this if i end up taken out the valves.belts tops on my list.one day at a time one nut and bolt at a time.well that could take a while

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.