Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi Guys I've read some of your other great Ideas, It's helped a lot so far.

On my 77 gl1000 I'm tring to bring back from the dead, The tach responds really really slow, I've gotten a brand new-used one from ebay and that's the same thing, Tried one from a 84 honda magnum, same thing.

If I take the one off my 79 cb750f it works great, so I know it's in the tach and not the cable or drive.

So my question is, Is there a way to clean out the inside of a tach, If so how do you take it apart without destroying the chrome trim ring in the middle

Thanks hope you guys can Help

Brandon

Appleton WI

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
imported post

Brandon, if 3 tachs did the same thing. it sounds more like the cable is faulty, probably the end isn't sitting properly in the drive.
To open the tach you have to butcher thr chrome ring.

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I put a tach on from by cb750f and it works great, so it has to be in the tach, and if you butcher the chrome ring what holds the tach together.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

I would get a Tach Cable from "JC whitney", I just bought one for $8 plus shipping !

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

But if it was the cable why would it work on the cb750f tach and not the goldwing tach, That's what I don't understand

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

My '77 did the same thing... and it was not the cable. I took the small bottom plate off and sprayed as much Tri-Flow lubridcant as I could inside. Most of it ran back out onto the ground, but some probably made it inside.

I don't really know if that really fixed it or not, but the tach seems to respond better now - either from riding the bike more or maybe the lubricant just might have worked.

I've heard of people taking the tach apart without breaking the ring, but don't know how they did it.

Good luck

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks man,

Never heard of tri-flow lubricant, were do you get it, I guess my bike's been sitting for 4 years, I got it last October, and been tring to get her ready,

Thanks again man

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
imported post

I took my '76 gauges apart. I bent the ring carefully and lubed the pin and bearing. The bearing is quite a cheap affair..and the lube only lasted awhile. I did this three times..then bought some used..excellent gauges off a 1980 ? ..Black Faced..no temp gauges in Tach.

It can be done..I just don't think the fix lasts. The bearing once spun is non-repairable..at least by me..

Had same problem with speedo..same results

YMMV

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

I found the tri-flow spray at the local fleet farm, So I'll give that a try when I get the bike running again.

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

I found a different tach off a 83 honda the one with the v engine,

Works great and also has the temp gauge, The only difference is that the tach and speedo face are black insead of green, but I can live with that

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
imported post

V engine ? A Silverwing (sideways V) or a V65 Magna ? V-Twin ?

That would be an easy fix..

Thanks

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

I thinks it was a silverwing 500 or a 550, It works for me

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Gearhead76 wrote:
Hi Guys I've read some of your other great Ideas, It's helped a lot so far.

On my 77 gl1000 I'm tring to bring back from the dead, The tach responds really really slow, I've gotten a brand new-used one from ebay and that's the same thing, Tried one from a 84 honda magnum, same thing.

If I take the one off my 79 cb750f it works great, so I know it's in the tach and not the cable or drive.

So my question is, Is there a way to clean out the inside of a tach, If so how do you take it apart without destroying the chrome trim ring in the middle

Thanks hope you guys can Help

Brandon
Since you have two Wing tachs that don't work I'd still suspect the cable and housing. Have you tried loosening the collar and seeing if the tach response changes? Have you tried your Wing tachs on the cb750?

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

yep I tried them on the 750 and all three extra tachs I have are just slow in response, But luckly I only had to pay for one of them, and that was 20 bucks from ebay, so not to bad, My buddy from work collects old bikes just for the parts, His price is usually help him with something or bring him some beer, which I usually drink most of it any way while taking the parts off.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

You might try an automotive instrument shop, we have several around here that restore or repair old speedos and tachs and such. Shouldn't be too expensive, I'll bet it's old lube dragging the needle down.

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

I thinik I'll just stick with the black face ones, I'm going for function over original equipment, I plan on riding this bike not selling it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.