Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched for posts on my specific issue and not found any that are relevant. My starter clutch is only catching periodically. If I roll the bike forward in gear and try again, it sometimes catches. 2nd time I have had this issue. Pulled motor first time and installed aftermarket springs, caps and rollers, but will never do that again, since they only lasted 6 months before problems came back. Yesterday, I pulled the motor again to replace the springs, caps and rollers with new OEM parts, but upon inspecting the stator rotor, found 2 caps Jammed inside the the recessed holes. I have soaked them is PB-blaster, no joy. Soaked in WD-40, no joy. I have heated up with propane, no joy. I have tried to wiggle them around using a 30 degree pick tool through the center hole of the cap....no joy. I also have another rotor from a 78 but which has part of a cap, or spring jammed At the bottom of one hole and cannot get that out either. I am pretty mechanically minded, but this one has me stumped. Any ideas before I bite the bullet and buy a used one from salvage yard? I removing the torx bolt which holds the offending cap assembly in place (hoping to drill out the stuck cap) but cannot get the part to move/slide out from underneath the top plate. Help!

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
What kind of oil are you using and have you used the same oil for a long time

Reactions: CrystalPistol

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
Can't quite picture your issue.Would turning the crankshaft (and rotor) back and forth be any help? Could you use a kick starter or put a socket on the bolt at the front of the crank?????

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ended up biting the bullet and paying a visit to Tulsa’s own ’Ron’s Cycle Land’, who had 2 GL1000 stator rotors on the shelf. Built the engine back up and installed in the frame. Job done.....until I started it up and see drops of coolant pooling in the floor. Tomorrow’s job I guess! Thanks for the suggestions above.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,166 Posts
Ended up biting the bullet and paying a visit to Tulsa’s own ’Ron’s Cycle Land’, who had 2 GL1000 stator rotors on the shelf. Built the engine back up and installed in the frame. Job done.....until I started it up and see drops of coolant pooling in the floor. Tomorrow’s job I guess! Thanks for the suggestions above.
Didn't realize you are a local to me until you mentioned going to Ron's cycle land...
never been there, what all do they cater to?

we need to arrange a RTE when the weather cools off.
I'm in Oologah

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
If you use Castrol in that motor the starter will give you issues with the starter,

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you use Castrol in that motor the starter will give you issues with the starter,
Sounds like a plan! Ron deals mainly in vintage Japanese bikes, but has some HD stock also. The shop is mainly a “go back and See if you can find it” kinda place, but he does have certain items organized by make and model. He also has a bike mechanic and shop in the same building (never used the mechanic).

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
That might be too slick fit the pawls to hang onto the stator,if it does it again ,change the oil to Honda oil and see if it clears up,most time it’s cold weather that causes that issue

Reactions: paultreid

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have searched for posts on my specific issue and not found any that are relevant. My starter clutch is only catching periodically. If I roll the bike forward in gear and try again, it sometimes catches. 2nd time I have had this issue. Pulled motor first time and installed aftermarket springs, caps and rollers, but will never do that again, since they only lasted 6 months before problems came back. Yesterday, I pulled the motor again to replace the springs, caps and rollers with new OEM parts, but upon inspecting the stator rotor, found 2 caps Jammed inside the the recessed holes. I have soaked them is PB-blaster, no joy. Soaked in WD-40, no joy. I have heated up with propane, no joy. I have tried to wiggle them around using a 30 degree pick tool through the center hole of the cap....no joy. I also have another rotor from a 78 but which has part of a cap, or spring jammed At the bottom of one hole and cannot get that out either. I am pretty mechanically minded, but this one has me stumped. Any ideas before I bite the bullet and buy a used one from salvage yard? I removing the torx bolt which holds the offending cap assembly in place (hoping to drill out the stuck cap) but cannot get the part to move/slide out from underneath the top plate. Help!
Sometimes, boiling water will loosen something like that. Or an ultrasonic cleaner with a soap/water formula will free it up. sounds like you picked up a replacement. You still have the old 1 to restore at your leisure. Good luck on the coolant leak.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts