Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I obtained a used front engine case, the one housing the oil filter and water pump, from ebay for my 77 Goldwing as the oil drain plug threads were damaged when I hit a raccoon several years ago. I also need a water pump (is it possibly related to hittting the racoon?)and have obtained a new one from Honda. My question is, am I better off using the original front engine case and having the threads redone while it is off the bike or should I use the one from ebay with an unknown history. My concern about the case from ebay is the impeller on the water pump actually rubs a little bit on the case. Is it possible for this case to be bent? All opinions are welcome. – Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

get rid of the used ebay water pump and just get a new one... as for the case all 1000's are the same

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
imported post

it should be close but not rub. . maybe oring related. Are both of them in there.JB.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

rubbing can be a couple of things... worn bearings.... throw it away... or the metal tabs a bit bent

nevertheless, all the work to pull it apart and then put in a used part you don't know the conditions of? just my 2c, I wouldn't, get a new one and you will probably never have to change it again

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
imported post

rcmatt007 wrote:
rubbing can be a couple of things... worn bearings.... throw it away... or the metal tabs a bit bent

nevertheless, all the work to pull it apart and then put in a used part you don't know the conditions of? just my 2c, I wouldn't, get a new one and you will probably never have to change it again
i think he said he got a new one. jb

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Repair the original oil drain threads by installing a Helicoil.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.