Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey before tearing into the bike i was hoping to get some input. I have a 77 goldwing that was running before i had foot surgery.. i parked it for too months and now it only starts barley..with the choke pulled out it will barley run. i opened the air filter and can hear on the left side kaaa took katook.. when i turn it over. I tried to do a compression check on the left side and got about 80 with testing on the dry side.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

So the engine is turning over, if you managed to check the compression. Have you loosened the carb float bowl screws to make sure fuel is getting to them? I would probably also see if it starts with some easy-start through the air filter intake. If it does, you have a fuel problem.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Update. I got it to run well. I pulled the point cover and advanced the timing a little and it ran like a top. Then started to over heat. after cool down it cranked a few times, "bad noise happened",:baffled: then won't turn. I have something going on with it. the right side, 2 and 4 cylinder timing belt is almost eaten up and the left side is perfect. (bought brand new belts 3000 miles ago). So either piston or cylinder. the only big problem is if it is only the values is there something else causing that side to eat belts? attached pics. :praying:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

left side 1&3 cylinders

Attachments

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

cylinder 2&4 showing belt fitting in the groves

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Attachments

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

if both belts were replaced at the same time. to me it looks like the 2-4 (left) was not tensioned propley (loose). thats my guess. (?)

·
Administrator
26,139 Posts
imported post

Something is making that cam hard to turn. My guess is the oil orifice in the head is plugged and it is not getting oil.

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
imported post

Are you sure you put in the right cam belts for a 1000 Gold Wing? Did you check cam belt tensioners to see if either one could be binding up? The running surface on the cam belt tensioners I see don`t look like they have been turning against a belt much at all.
gumbyred

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

My first thought is that there is something binding in the cam shaft, bearings gone from lack of oil? Does it turn over easily by hand w/spark plugs removed?
I agree with the tensioners don't look good. They should be clean, rust free, and spin freely.
It looks also like maybe wrong belt number used? Do they fit the teeth properly? Looks like there is space between the belt teeth and the cam pulley teeth? Hard to really tell from those pics.

·
It aint rocket science
3,920 Posts
imported post

If it were the wrong belts both sides would show the same problem. And if the tensioner was not turning the back of the belt would be showing signs of wear.

I think Dave got it right and would explain the overheating by lack of oil to the head and now the won't turn over symptom. Not to mention the noises heard from the left side the OP stated earlier. Good diagnosis. Pop the valve cover off, I bet it is very dry in there with a cooked smell.

JD

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

They were the correct belts. They are identical belts. The big difference is the teeth of the left side are warn down they are being eatenup. So the teeth are almost gone

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Timing marks off

Attachments

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Right timing mark off from the left in previous ticket tells me something bad happened

Attachments

·
It aint rocket science
3,920 Posts
imported post

Is it at TDC and why is that right belt loose? It looks like you got your work cut out for you.:sadguy:

JD

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

The right belt is tight actually do not know why it got chewed up i do have another engine for my 76 Anoying thing bike under different post.so i might do quick fix or use rhis bike to fix that one

·
It aint rocket science
3,920 Posts
imported post

No, this right side.:smiler:

JD

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hello all, sorry it has been about a year since being on here. I went through knee surgery and working on the bike as I go.
I ended up using the new motor I got that has 20,000 miles on it. got it off flea bay and suppose to have 180 compression on all cylinders. have not checked it but anything beats the 90psi and 110 on the old motor.
Well long story longer.
stripped engine off the bike and had my son help me slide the frame onto the new engine. it has been supported by the roof of the carport for about a year while slowly putting it back together.

I got it timed with the timing light and went through the renew engine startup guide with using oil and transmission oil and then draining it. On the 100 mile testing right now. I finally got it on the road this morning. it is amazing the feel of the Goldwing.. almost forgot how good it gets having to ride my cb360 for last few months.

Well I did hit a couple snags. while engine sat over the year dirt dobbers got into the water pump threads and when I tested the bike water was coming out of the gasket because it was not tight enough. well I tried to tighten it and snap...off went the bolt. tried to tap it, but did not work. ended up having to pull the transmission cover off old engine and put on the new motor. I was in rush so I used #2 soft gasket sealer and the old gasket. have only little drip so I will need to buy gasket kit and replace later. now I can just add oil and enjoy the ride.
when I pulled the cover off the old motor I found heavy sludge. see pic. IMG_0400.jpg

IMG_0401.jpg

I also have pic of in progress work. wish I took more.

This was this morning after taking to the car wash and cleaning 2years of dirt and grease off.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This morning

this is pics from this morning ride after being at car wash.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.