Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I was wondering is some of the GL1000 guru’s could help out. I just got hold of a 77 Goldwing. The previous couple owners could not get it started and did not know what was wrong. They hit the start button and it dimmed the light but would not turn the starter. I tried a jump starter box to the old starter that was supposed to be bad and it popped the sprocket out and spun. I tried it straight to the starter and it turned the engine over. I knew it was electrical at that point. I have spent few weeks looking over the info for the diagrams and reading. I finally found a few wires hanging.

There were two green wires and one white/green, they were on the left side of the false tank at the forks wire harness connections.

I was able to pull the two wires out of the top of the bundle and they matched the loose ones coming from the bike wire harness. I followed them back up and they connected the left clutch.

After connecting it I tried the starter button a couple of times and it started turning over. I pulled the spark plugs and now I am getting a spark. I got daring and put car engine starter in the carb and it kicked over but sounded rough.

I have to clean the gas tanks so I had the fuel value turned off. I tried to keep running with ether can and noticed a wire got hot and smoked.

I noticed the wire before and new I would need to repair it when I get the tank off to clean it out. The wire is coming of the Rectifier on the battery cage. It is the second wire down. It is yellow. I think it runs to the ac generator.

Do I just need to fix the connections on the wire harness and rectifier or might there be another problem with the generator or rectifier?

This is what I am hoping someone could tell me or give some suggestions.

Another point is while tracking down wires and looking at things, I found that I had electronic points and I did pull them out look at them and put them back in, since I got no spark earlier. Now I am getting a spark. so they are probably off. I will try to adjust them.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

The yellow wires can get hot but shouldn't be smoking. Check the connections are solid as loose ones could be the cause.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Sounds like a resistance issue..clean all connections and check wires for corrosion..note if the three yellow wires in then connector next to the battery haven't been solder together and the connector removed you may want to do that too. They tend to metal the connector and short out

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

while this isn't a wiring issue, if you haven't changed the timing belts do it... if you break one at best you do a valve job, at worst, you find a replacement engine

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

thanks for the advise on the belts. I am going to the auto store on lunch for new plugs and getting couple of the gates belts T274 which i saw were cheaper and work than honda's

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.