Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys; I need some advice on my machine. Mechanic who was supposed to fix timing has passed on so I was trying to finish the job myself. Tried turning the engine over by using the socket on the rear and came to a hard spot and tried to turn it a little bit more when I heard a pop or sounds like something slipped, since then it is has a hard spot to turn over by hand
Could it be that a timing chain has jumped a tooth? I have set all the timing marks on the timing belts and they are spot on for both sides. Any ideas on this would be very appreciative. Can provide pics on timing covers.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
If you were using the alternator bolt,you probably just broke it loose,the chain won’t come off,you need to use the crank bolt to turn the moto.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Post pictures

·
Administrator
27,106 Posts
Hi Guys; I need some advice on my machine. Mechanic who was supposed to fix timing has passed on so I was trying to finish the job myself. Tried turning the engine over by using the socket on the rear and came to a hard spot and tried to turn it a little bit more when I heard a pop or sounds like something slipped, since then it is has a hard spot to turn over by hand
Could it be that a timing chain has jumped a tooth? I have set all the timing marks on the timing belts and they are spot on for both sides. Any ideas on this would be very appreciative. Can provide pics on timing covers.
It does not have a timing chain, it uses belts. What about the timing are you trying to fix? Were you doing this engine turning with the timing belts off ? Bad news if so.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Dave I was thinkI got got he was referencing the primary chain but perhaps he isn’t aware there is a chain in that motor but if he had all that off he would know it was belts?

Reactions: Slowride67

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
Don,
Goldwings are interference engines. That means as long as the crankshaft and camshaft are connected and the valve timing is correct there will be no issues. On the other hand if the cams and crank are not connected by the timing belt there can be interference between the valves and the pistons. As Dave was suggesting this is not good. It seems likely you had and issue where the cams and crank were not in sync with each other and when you forced the engine to turn over after the hard stop you probably bent a valve or more than one. That is a fairly big job to fix, sorry to say.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Say he had the timing right on,
have set all the timing marks on the timing belts and they are spot on for both sides.

·
Administrator
27,106 Posts
have set all the timing marks on the timing belts and they are spot on for both sides.
But was this before or after the other thing?

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Good question,maybe he will be back

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
Yeah, as Dave said just because the timing marks are aligned for the cams it still might not be safe to turn the crank. It has to be the cams and crank are in alignment at the same time and stay that way....forever. :oops:

·
Registered
279 Posts
If you are turning the alternator bolt clockwise it should not come loose. If you were going counter-clockwise it may have came loose and you'll have to put the bike in gear and apply the brake and tighten it back up. Hopefully the hard spot was just some Rust in the cylinder walls. Make sure your timing mark for the crankshaft was on T when checking belt timing. The mark is under the cap/plug by the left rear carb.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Perhaps it will be sometime before we know any answers.

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
If you remove the valve cover and rotate the crans (if necessary) you would see a valve/valves that do not retutn all the way. Like 1/8' to 1/4" valve lash.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
I don’t think he could have bent a valve by turning it with a wrench?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am wondering when the last time this bike was on the road. Seems like moisture may have entered one or more cylinders, possibly by head gasket failure, resulting in piston ring seizure?
gumbyredd
Thank you for the reply but after heads were taken off there was no moisture.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you remove the valve cover and rotate the crans (if necessary) you would see a valve/valves that do not retutn all the way. Like 1/8' to 1/4" valve lash.
Yes heads wer taken off and put back on. Vavles are seated tight. Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, as Dave said just because the timing marks are aligned for the cams it still might not be safe to turn the crank. It has to be the cams and crank are in alignment at the same time and stay that way....forever. :oops:
Yes I believe you . I am wondering if the metal chain inside of the engine may have slipped one notch.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
No,not unless it was worn plumb out,it’s 1inch and has teeth completely across
did you turn it over while the heads were off?
how many miles on the motor
if it did slip it would not affect the timing

1 - 20 of 33 Posts