Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello All,

I have adjusted my clutch at top and bottom. It seems that If I loosen it enough to be fully in gear, then the clutch doesn't dis-engage enough to easily get it in and out of gear.
Help please!

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Sounds like the cable has stretched. might be time to replace it.

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Bagmaster wrote:
Sounds like the cable has stretched. might be time to replace it.
No kidding, i just replaced it 3k miles ago. Any other remedy?

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Perhaps I'm not comncatin well...lol.
I have plenty of adjustment available at top or bottom.
However, I am unable to find a happy medium that allows both complete disengagement, and compete engagement.
Did I do better?:)

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

Something is wrong. These clutches should fully engage or diseagage with like 1 inch of handle travel. Have you done clutch maintenance inside the housing?

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Whiskerfish wrote:
Something is wrong. These clutches should fully engage or diseagage with like 1 inch of handle travel. Have you done clutch maintenance inside the housing?
Only the install of the new cable a few months ago. You may be onto something, however, cause I'm not sure it's been right since I installed it. Any Idea what I could have done wrong?

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

Not really. There is a basic adjustment to the actuating rod that you can check. The procedure is spelled out very well in the Shop Manual. I would start there.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

morriscatt wrote:
Perhaps I'm not comncatin well...lol.
I have plenty of adjustment available at top or bottom.
However, I am unable to find a happy medium that allows both complete disengagement, and compete engagement.
Did I do better?:)
sorry I haven't gotten back to this sooner, been working on my own bike before the cold temps and rain got here again.

Now, in your first post you failed to mention that you had already replaced the clutch cable. Based on that I think Wiskerfish is on to something, I'll have to check a manual right quick and post back on that adjustment he's talking about.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Ok, here's some instructions right out of the Honda factory manual for adjusting the clutch cable properly. I hope these help.

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
imported post

Make sure you are not running oil too thick, it can cause the clutch to drag when you try to release it.
Did you let the engine and transmission warm up good?
A cold clutch may drag more, especially with thick oil.

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

I did just change oil and trying to find some 10-30 without friction modifiers was tuff, however, I ended up putting in Maxlife. I just read the label and it does have anti-friction additives, however the bottom of the circle is blank. Did I do bad?

Edit,
I think the clutch thing was me... I adjusted it above to get a little slack and it does clank a little when shifting, however, it doesn't grab with the clutch in (while in gear) like it did..
Who knows?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.