Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Trying to bring back a '78 GL1000 that had crashed on highway.
Engine runs, sounds OK above 1000 RPM. At low idle, especialy below
900 RPM there is a knocking. I'm thinking valve adjustments, or low
oil pressure.
What could be the source of this noise, and fix for it.
This is my first post, there are 25000 topics here, sorry if this topic
has been answered before.

·
Old School Guru
7,889 Posts
imported post

Your carbs need synchronizing real bad. What your hearing is the primary chain slapping. It is quite common on the 4 cylinder wings with the carbs out of sync. If the carbs are out of sync, it causes each cylinder to fire differently, causing the crank to jerk slightly and the chain to slap. It is affected by the low idle curcuit of each carb being different. For instruction on how to fix it, do a search for carb sync in the search box.:)

Gene:waving:

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,880 Posts
imported post

GLester wrote:
Your carbs need synchronizing real bad. What your hearing is the primary chain slapping. It is quite common on the 4 cylinder wings with the carbs out of sync. If the carbs are out of sync, it causes each cylinder to fire differently, causing the crank to jerk slightly and the chain to slap. It is affected by the low idle curcuit of each carb being different. For instruction on how to fix it, do a search for carb sync in the search box.:)

Gene:waving:
What Gene said. However on the 1000 you will never get (all) the chain slap noise out. Most but not all.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

(Clacking noise at low idle. Gene says carbs out of sync.)
Thanks for that information. I have the manual, which tells how to sync the carbs.
I looked at manual. I don't have the four vacuum gauges, and I'm not
competent to do this. I have a good Honda dealer, maybe they'll do it.
Thanks again.
Russ

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

What is especially comforting about this information is that the
noise isn't piston slap or some other major engine fault.
I guess the chain slap isn't good for the chain, but I can set the
idle at 1100 and not have the slap.

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,880 Posts
imported post

For now I would leave the idle at 1100. Won't hurt anything except gasmileage. Not high enough to enable the main jets. This site has a tool loaner program that includes the carb sync tool, if you ever get the nerve to do it yourself. It is not hard. Perhaps there is a member close to you who will assist you. All you have to do is ask and someone will be along to help. Your always helpful dealer probably won't even talk to you about a bike this old. Good luck with your project.

I forgot to mention. Welcome to the Saunders sit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.