Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I've had my scooter out of storage for a few weeks now and it's been running great! Even in this lovely Portland, OR weather. If you don't ride wet, you don't ride..

Anywho, Monday morning, I get about 10 miles from the house and it loses power, almost like the gas was shut off.. I noticed my odometer was at 144 miles which is usually when I switch to reserve. I pulled it over, fought with it for a while, no joy.. Momma brought me a gallon of fresh gas.. Got it to start back up and nursed it about 5 or six miles closer to home before I had to leave it.

Got it home, cleaned the plugs, fresh gas, everything.. Even put a new battery in it cause that old one was getting tired.

Runs great..

Get on it this morning for the first ride since Monday.. It dies at the exact same place.. I even coasted to a stop within 3 feet of where I ended up Monday..

Wouldn't fire at all for at least two minutes.. Turned the petcock, turned off my headlight, hit the started, fired up.. Ran real rough decided to head back for home (Groundhog day??). Got about a mile up the street and it started running fine..

Turn around, head back for work. About 10 miles down the road, starts all over again.. Got to the side of the road, messed with it a bit.. Finally got it running where I could get back into traffic. In less than 3 miles, power was gone, I mean gone (This happens on all previous occasions as well). I pull off an exit early, nurse it down some roads.. Finally hit a little hill, no power, had to pull it over.. Backed it up onto a sidewalk, played with the light switch, petcock, etc.. Put it on center stand because I figured it's done.. Ready to break out my tools and see what the plugs were up to..

Hit the started and it fired up.. Off I went..

Made it to work.. Now I have a 26 mile ride home this afternoon and I'm pretty sure it's going to happen again..

Some have suggested fuel issues.. For some reason, I keep thinking coil issues, dunno why... Could the coils be heatin up or on thier last legs??

BTW, it was 40 degrees this morning which is the norm for my riding conditions this time of year so it's not like it's a heat wave or anything..

Any help (Well, besides "Only make 10 mile trips) would be greatly appreciated.

GG

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
Are you still using points and condenser, or has it been changed over to electronic ignition? Sure sounds like something heating up and going open.
Power gone? Battery power, or engine power?

·
Administrator
27,898 Posts
If it were points or a coil it would still run on 2, doubtful both sets would quit at once unless it is the kill switch or something else in the power side. How about the fuel cap vent, it could be plugged and causing a vacuum in the tank.

·
Just me.
2,746 Posts
I had a similar problem a while back, turned out the fuel filter was plugged. couldn't see it was dirty because it was installed backwards. 2 bucks for a new one, running great. I should add, I have an 1100.

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
If it were points or a coil it would still run on 2, doubtful both sets would quit at once unless it is the kill switch or something else in the power side. How about the fuel cap vent, it could be plugged and causing a vacuum in the tank.
If the tank was near full on both occasions then I would bet on the tank cap also. If the tank was half full, then I believe it might go a little farther than 10mi before showing up. Make more sense that quick might be fuel filter.

Just loosen up the cap for a trial ride.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Fuel pump.
Probably sucking air after it heats up.
Swap the line from the pump to the rack with one that is clear temporarily. Get it up to operating temperature, give it another 10 minutes and look for air bubbles in the line. If you see them, replace the pump.
You may not see it leaking fluid, and it could have the problem above. Mine did.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
I second the fuel filter.
Sounds like problems I've had on old cars at times.

Clogged filter lets fuel seep through real slow so carbs are full to start with, idles good, and runs well with full power at first and maybe even good at slow speed! Since the filter is not flowing full fuel as it should though eventually you run out of gas in the carbs, faster you go the sooner you run out.
Depends how bad the filter is but after a short time the carbs slowly refill while sitting, idling, or running slow, then she runs good again with full power and speed for a short time till she runs out of gas again in the carbs.

If that sounds like what's going on to you then change the fuel filter and see how she runs. Fuel filter is the easiest and cheapest thing to try first and needs changed from time to time anyway.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
just for kick`s and giggles ----- do you still have a dog bone fuse? ? if so check it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.